DISTRIBUTOR FOR A SD1 ENGINE

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

landy 88 v8

DISTRIBUTOR FOR A SD1 ENGINE

Post by landy 88 v8 »

HEY would any one be able to shed some light on a 3.5 sd1 engine with a high lift cam im just wondering what would be the best electronic ignition system to keep up with the revs because ive put a lumenition setup on there not sure on what type but it does get rather hot and plays up a lot and ive had a go with the old style points setup and it keeps popping the condenser every now and again i just need some thing thats easy to maintain and not too difficult to wire up cheers

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Just fit the latest SD1 distributor with ignition amplifer on the side of the distributor:

The one on the right is the style you need. Forget points, ballast resistors and all that sh*te. With that type, it's +12V on one terminal and Coil -ve on the other. Bobs your aunty.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

landy 88 v8

SD1 distributor problem

Post by landy 88 v8 »

cheers i had a hunch that points were crap unless they r fitted to a 4 pot engine and brand new thats the only time points would work any way gonna give that sd1 dizzy a go and get out in this snow befor it dissappears cheers

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

The dizzy chris has shown is a 35DLM8 and it requires a 12v Lucas DLB198 or equivalent coil, the ignition will not work with all 12v coils because they have different resistances.

Kevin.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Yes indeed, definitely get the right coil to go with that amp.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

I ran Lumenition with the early 1978 SD1 Opus dissy for years and it went fine. I don't think Lumeniton make a kit for the 1982-86 SD1 type dissys though.

I have now changed to a Scorcher distributor from Performance Ignition systems. Full custom curve made to engine spec, complete drop in unit that uses all commonly available Bosch internals and module and they give you a spec sheet with the Bosch part numbers.

You can either specify the advance curve, or they can do a recommended one for you.
http://www.performanceignition.com.au/

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: DISTRIBUTOR FOR A SD1 ENGINE

Post by DaveEFI »

landy 88 v8 wrote:HEY would any one be able to shed some light on a 3.5 sd1 engine with a high lift cam im just wondering what would be the best electronic ignition system to keep up with the revs because ive put a lumenition setup on there not sure on what type but it does get rather hot and plays up a lot and ive had a go with the old style points setup and it keeps popping the condenser every now and again i just need some thing thats easy to maintain and not too difficult to wire up cheers
Are you using the correct coil? Depending on model it might be designed to be used with a ballast resistor so is a 9 volt type. (the resistor gets bypassed when cranking so you get plenty of volts to the coil when the starter motor pulls down the battery volts) If used without the resistor things will get hot - and possibly fail.

But later SD1s used the 35 DLM 8 dizzy which has the amp bolted onto the side. Only two connections between this and a 12 volt coil. They go for about 30 quid on Ebay.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”