Tvr immobiliser?

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Bart
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Tvr immobiliser?

Post by Bart »

Went to start my Chimaera tonight. It turned over once, then stopped. It's tried to click in twice since, but apart from that there's nothing when I try to start it. All other electrics seem fine, and the battery was good when I went for a run this afternoon.

Where is the immobiliser relay/ starter solenoid relay?

Cheers.

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Just check that the wire to the starter motor's solenoid is properly attached. Mine was just touching so worked sometimes and clicked other times. Took months to find.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Further thinking and if it clicks, I doubt it is the immobiliser. Try by-passing the circuits and going straight to the solenoid and then work backwards. I Googled "tvr chimaera starter relay" and got quite a few suggestions / problems. HTH.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

The TVR was never fitted from the factory with a starter relay (deleted from LR loom by TVR apparently) this over time passes to much current through the Meta alarm relays causing burning/carbon build up of the relay points thus causing intermittent non starts etc 8) If caught in time a relay in the circuit thus lowering the current through the Meta relays can get you by but ultimately long term you will need to get the modular immobilizer relays replaced or the module itself renewed completely, this is of course if this is your problem and not a failing starter or the ign switch itself also an over worked part from a 4 cyl Vauxhall 8-) but if you have not already you still need the so called hot start relay mod like mentioned already
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”