Ford 9" here I come!!

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Ford 9" here I come!!

Post by mgbv8 »

After snapping a halfshaft I have decided to get rid of the old MGB axle and fit a 9". Have any of you lot fitted the Ford 9" ??

Hauser racing will modify one to fit my car, so I'm taking the old axle to them to measure next week sometime.

I understand this will be a pretty bulletproof unit for what my car will put out.

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

Before you leap in with both feet, Price up how much Geoff is going to charge you and the cost of all the parts you will need, nearly £500 for a set of Moser shafts, which I use and have not had a problem, casing narrowing, £200??, Original outlay for a 9" locker axle, £250/300, new prop, £125 new Brakes, Better Ratio gearset Etc Etc, its starting to add up,
Have a look here,
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/pr ... s_id=13237

The " Hercules" is in fact a Currie Enterprises 8" unless you have ideas of going for substantially more power, a 8" would probably suit your needs better,

OR, have a look here,

http://www.currieenterprises.com/

remember the exchange rate is about 2 dollars to the pound, and use an agent or import yourself, it will be loads more cheaper,

Ian :D
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Hi Ian
I spoke to Ray at Hauser, and he says they will be able to modify a 9" to suit my car, with shafts, brakes and a spool for about a grand + vat.
I'll check out the 8" option tomorrow.
Cheers

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

Do you drive the car on the street, or tow it with the wheels on the ground??, A spool, is the ultimate strong diff, But they are near undrivable on the street with no differential action the car will Hop round corners, and even pushing the car with the steering turned is near impossible.
Ian
THE SMOKING GNU

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Yes, I know a spool will give me problems with road use. If I can find a diff locker / LSD option to match it I'll take it. I still want to use the car on the road, but I want max traction for fun days at the Pod.
I'll get more advice when I visit Hauser I suppose.

Looking forward to the Retro day in July, when I hope to have her rolling for tests.

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

I was in a mates garage last weekend, and there was a 9" in the corner, I beleive this is going to be built to handle 900hp His garage is a bit of a nest if LSDs He has got a English Quaife LSD under his daily, which is going to be replaced with a 8" Locker, His Morris Minor is having the 9" removed from it soon to be replaced with the all singing all dancing 9" there is also somthing else going on with another small english ford with a 700hp turbo engine, so I dont know what is happening with the spare 9" but I can ask
I may know of another couple of 9"LSDs,
THE SMOKING GNU

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

All info welcome Ian. If I can find an axle that will do the job for a few bob that will be fine. I can get it modified to fit the MG if it will do what I want. I cant see my engine putting out more than 400 with gas mate.

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

what about a Scimitar 4HA axle, that must be about the right width for you, same basically as a narrow Mk2 Jag axle, I know there are people on here who can give you more info on that axle,
THE SMOKING GNU

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

NSRA swap meet is at Arena Essex, on Sunday March 4, usually more than a couple of 9" there,
THE SMOKING GNU

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Im using an 8.8" with a Torsen diff.

My Moser halfshafts were something like £350 ? Diff $500, Choice of CWP circa $200 + bearings etc

No idea how much I ended up paying for the used axle I started with.

I widened it myself to suit my car, circa 30mm each side.

I wouldnt entertain some of the lockers or spools. So I opted for a Torsen, which in theory should be the ideal diff.

Most expensive bit, was the 4-link kit from Hauser, I think they charged me something like £600 odd for that.

If I was doing it again, I dont think I'd choose a rose jointed option. Id go for more road friendly bushings.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

graffian

Post by graffian »

Ask some yank places if they can airfreight a complete axle. I bought a Dana complete, narrowed to specified width, strange 35spline shafts, my choice of gears and diff. It was under a grand.
Airshipping was something like $200.
At the time Geoff wanted something like 600+vat for the strange shafts...
I just phoned a speed shop who had a small add in car craft. This was before the internet.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Cool
I'm trawling the net for options thanks to the above info.

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Would aftermarket shafts be needed on a 9" with up to 400 hp / lbs (rear wheels)? Thought even the 28 splines ones can take that, and can be shortened as they're not tapered? Or is that not right.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Isn't the 9" a bit OTT for only 400 break in an MGB, this is a seriously big and heavy piece of kit, alot of unsprung mass. Even in standard form let alone with aftermarket shafts they are for serious power. I think they are not a very efecient design, they will turn alot of your 400bhp into heat.
Best regards :?
Mike
poppet valves rule!

russell_ram
Getting There
Getting There

Post by russell_ram »

I'm with Ian here, I think a GKN 4HA Scimiatr axle would do the job for much less money. Powerlock from Jag XJ fits straight in, already has an input flange that should match the MG prop (may not even need modifying in length if you're lucky) and already bracketed for a 4 link (lift the rods from a scim and modify their length to suit.

Russ
Rover Powered to 11.63sec @ 128mph.

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”