Which axle and prop to use on 383ci opel manta?

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

CRAZYDAVE

Which axle and prop to use on 383ci opel manta?

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Hi guys first post. :) I've got a 1986 Opel manta gte coupe which is going to be fitted with a 383 ci chevy and a tremec tko 600 box. :D I'm aware of the huge amount of work needed to convert the car and strenghen the shell but my main problem so far is this. Which axle would be the best suited to use for this application and which company is the best to supply a new propshaft to suit? Any help much appreiciated. :) Cheers. Dave.

CRAZYDAVE

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Surely someone can help guys? :)

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

Dave,

I've got a Chevy 10-bolt which goes with my 350 Chevy and TKO600RR. The 10-bolt is good for 400bhp in light cars and the 12 bolt even more. The other axle for high power is the Ford 9" which can take mega bhp with the right kit. The Chevys tend to be cheaper than the Ford probably because they're less popular.

For propshafts if you're not too far north or south try try Reco Prop (Luton) or Bailey Morris (St. Neots). Better still do a search on 'props' in the forum as this has been covered many times.

Cheers,

Ian
Last edited by kev_the_mole on Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi for m 2p worth
I would only go 9" if you are going to be making well over 600bhp, it is a big heavy piece of kit, strong as h*ll with the right internals but will eat alot of power (it's a pretty old design) and is heavy and will cost £2.5k to £3.5k before you know it.
Great for a blown 415+ci small block or more realistically a big block of some sort but overkill for a 383.
The smaller ford (8.8 inch) is a better bet with a small block as is the ten or twelve bolt chevy. Quite a few have had success with one of the Volvo axels (I think with Jag internals). There are a few posts on here on this subject, worth a read.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

CRAZYDAVE

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Cheers guys. :)

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”