Seperating block from gearbox!

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Wilts289
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Seperating block from gearbox!

Post by Wilts289 »

Evening nightowls! have just spent 7 frustrating hours trying to remove 3.5 Rover block from engine bay and leave gearbox in situ. Is fitted in a Hawk 289 so reasonable access. I have taken out the 8 gearbox bolts, removed the clutch cylinder, starter motor, flywheel cover and engine mount bolts. I thought that was the hard work done but cannot get the block to come away from the bellhousing. Am I missing something simple or is brute force required and if so where please? Got a nice recon. 4.2 sitting on a stand all ready to go in but *************!

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

If it's an SD1 engine there are two bolts at the back of the sump that bolt up into the bellhousing, remove those and it should come apart.

It's usuall easier to remove the engine and box in one lump and a lot easier putting it back in.

Kevin

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

PS

I'm assuming you have the engine supported on a hoist of some description.

Kevin.

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

As Kevin says, two bolts on the bottom of the sump to bellhousing, Has the car got a flywheel dust cover, that would stop the flywheel pulling out of its housing, Have you enough clearance between Sump or rack and X member, could be Earth straps, or even Heater hoses, has a gap of any sorts opened up at the bellhousing/block flange, if so, gently insert a screwdriver into it and GENTLY prise the faces apart,, could just be holding on the dowles,
I one witnessed 2 mechanics atruggle to remove an engine with a hoist and slings, only to find out 2 hours later they had run the strap under the X member. worth a look,
Ian :D
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

Wilts289
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

still trying

Post by Wilts289 »

All these late nighters ! thanks for advice and yes to sump off, flywheel cover off, engine on hoist using lifting brackets on c/heads. Engine rises ok, it just wont come forward away from bell housing( plenty of room upfront), not even a teeny weeny gap to prise open! I was trying to avoid gearbox removal.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Maybe the spigot bush is very tight - or the clutch plate is stiff on the input shaft.

Maybe you'll have to whip the box out too so you can get good access.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

You could try pressing the clutch pedal, with everything disconnected it may just push the engine forward.

Kevin.

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

CastleMGBV8 wrote:You could try pressing the clutch pedal, with everything disconnected it may just push the engine forward.

Kevin.
Slave cylinder is removed!!
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

russell_ram
Getting There
Getting There

Post by russell_ram »

If it hasn't been apart in a while it will be seized on the block to bellhousing dowels. No sweat, just prize it apart gently and get ready to catch it when it does come off.

Russ
Rover Powered to 11.63sec @ 128mph.

Wilts289
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Wilts289 »

Ignored engine this morning and cleaned and repainted engine mounts instead. Had coffee/smoke, scratched head. Jacked gearbox up half and inch and lowered engine slightly and ...... daylight. Now out ready for cleaning and selling!

Thanks everyone, it always helps to know there'd Good Guys out there in ones hour of need.

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”