LT77 Reverse detent

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

misterb

LT77 Reverse detent

Post by misterb »

The spring loaded reverse detent on my LT77 fouls the trans tunnel on my V8 project, mainly because the tunnel narrows at this point.

I'm considering removing the detent mechanism completely, as any protrusion from the side of tunnel will interfere with the handbrake.

Has anyone done this/have any views or experience with this.

Chris.

One day it will be finished!

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

I'd modify the tunnel, i had a mate who had a dodgy reverse on his zodiac..... yep that long ago, shifted it into reverse instead of fourth i think, anyway spun it wiped out the backend and bust the box, is it worth it? john
So thats where it went !

demo2
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by demo2 »

My Car has it completely removed, never been a drama. Dont c how u can hit reverse instead of 4th when they r in completely the opersite direction on a rover box?

misterb

Post by misterb »

demo2 wrote:My Car has it completely removed, never been a drama. Dont c how u can hit reverse instead of 4th when they r in completely the opersite direction on a rover box?
Thanks Demo2,

That was my thinking, my old Mondeo had a similar arrangement and you could easily select reverse instead of first, but in 3 years of daily driving I never reversed into anyone.
I was just interested to hear others experiences.

Chris.

davemgb
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by davemgb »

I've got a LT77 in my MGB and have clearance for the reverse detent assembly, seems to me you have the gearbox offset in the car which I would avoid if possible. Must be very close on the reversing light switch as well.

Dave

misterb

Post by misterb »

davemgb wrote:I've got a LT77 in my MGB and have clearance for the reverse detent assembly, seems to me you have the gearbox offset in the car which I would avoid if possible. Must be very close on the reversing light switch as well.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Mine's an MGA which narrows more at the back of the gearbox. I have thought about shortening it, doing away with the springs and replacing them with rubber bushes - any chance that might work?. I'm having to modify the trans tunnel anyway, but want to keep the handbrake in the original position, which means it will foul any modification in that area

The reversing light switch has been ditched as well.

Chris.

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

For god sake, keep the detent. It's next to first! You only have to be at the lights, and accidentally put it in reverse and bumf, you've just put your beloved car into the front of someone's shitty renault clio. Or, atleast come fabricate some sort of other mechanism. Just off the top of my head, maybe weld some sort of flange on the shaft, connected to some sort of spring mechanism.

I remember my dad saying he did the back of his car in by taking the detent off. I think....it was a jaguar, but I'm not sure.

You can put a reverse light switch on your dashboard. I think....for kitcars, it has to be a switch which there is a light on, so you know if you have left it on, but not sure about modified cars.

This is an mga with a v8? Christ alive :lol: That could be amusing.

The worst case scenario, you could be at the lights next to a chaved up fiat punto, with him giving it some, and you in your classic mga, the lights turn green, he cains it and you go flying backwards.

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”