RV8 - PG1 Gearbox

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

RV8 - PG1 Gearbox

Post by Ralphh85 »

Hello, im new here as i have a V8 question to do with my next up project.

how can i fit a rover V8 on to a PG1 gearbox?? PG1 comes in loads of cars all of the rovers above 1600, i would probably use the internals of a 220T as its the stronger varient hopefully capable takign the torque of a mildly tuned 3.5 or 3.9 V8.

is there anythign out there which would do this forme or will i have to custom make bell housing?

obvious other question is either mounting a V8 on to probably 220T clutch as it takes alot of power, or fitting a V8landrover clutch on tot he PG1??

any help much appritiated, this seems not to be a very common thing as most people love the 220T engine and wouldnt replace it.

Ralph

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

I would doubt if it would be possible with bolt on parts, FWD tomcatV8?? BUT there are some changeover parts between the cars, If my memory is correct the Tomcat engine is related by linage to the O series, and the O series was fitted to the Sdi 2ltr,
TBH I would think either an adaptor plate or ring would need to be made to do this conversion, If Spag is still on here he mated a RV8 to a Princess 6 cylinder gearbox and then into a mini, he is probably the man to talk to,
If you used a 220 clutch you could quite easily redrill the RV8 flywheel,
Another thing that seems to stick in my mind is that Rover used VW boxes, now a VR6 engined tomcat would appeal or even a VR32
Ian
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

Spag

Post by Spag »

I did briefly toy with the idea of a PG1, but the overall width was too big, so ditched the thought without going much further. So stuck with the 4cly princess box under the sump.

Easiest thing is to make a template of the back of the engine from cardboard showing the bell hosing bolt holes, starter and crank. Then go for a browse around yer local breakers.

I think the PG1 was derived from the VW box (but I may be imagining that), and may be getting a bit long in the tooths, so I would take a peek at the Vauxhall boxes as a possible alternative ?

Whatever you go for I would expect that there will either need to be a spacer/adapter made to match the bell housing bolts up, then possibly a crank spacer to get the input shaft to engage with the clutch, then a small flywheel to fit in the g/box bell housing.

Probably have to relocate the starter motor too ?

All quite do-able with domestic hand tools and a bit of lateral thinking though :wink:

Rough adapter for the Pievan
http://www.spagweb.com/v8mini/pievan/pie_adapter1.htm

Some other general gearboxery and block munging from about November 01 on too
http://www.spagweb.com/v8mini/diary/2001/index.htm
Ian (Spag)

www.spagweb.com - www.v8mini.co.uk
"The Roughest V8Mini Deathtrap In The World"

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

nothing to do with tomcats what so ever.

its a rear engine V8 metro im tryign to make. so similar to your mini. (i think)

i chose the PG1 idealy because the following would be easy...

speedo drive cable, mgf would work
gearlinkage, again mgf one fit stright in,
clutch, i already have a hydrolic mgf on mine.
subframe, i can fit it in to an mgf rear frame.

however i am open to toher boxes.

i have use fo a waterjet cutter, and can get stuff made liek splines, ali welding etc so can make bell housings if nessesary.

any help much appritiated

Ralph

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

The 'O' series as fitted to Montegos etc had an adaptor plate to fit the engine block to the bellhousing. That detail might be true of all 'O' series applications, I don't know. Worth checking M series, T series and L series applications too as they are all derived from the O series. And the Perkins Prima diesel.
(I say all this because the Montego had the PG-1 which was a Honda design)

The torque delivered by an 80BHP Montego Diesel is enough to slip the standard clutch with foot right off the pedal, so I agree you'll need a better clutch in there.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

T series as fitted tot he turbo has a good clutch, but i dont think it has any adaptor plates.

however i am thinkign it might be possable to use the T series bell housing and make a flat plate which bolts on to it and then would have a ring of holes to bolt ot eh v8 as well.

yes the PG1 was made by powertrain but they copyed it from jap design.

i think its a pretty good box, and has all the right fittings etc to.

also it takes 174foot pounds as standard and people push it to over 200 with no issues.

mine which is on a 1.8 vvc engine now has uprated internals and steel caged bearings.

Ralph

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”