My new gearbox, what the hell is it from?

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Rick-Manta

My new gearbox, what the hell is it from?

Post by Rick-Manta »

Howdy!

Last weekend I made a trip over to Wales to pick up some V8 gear for my next V8 manta project (now on hold due to forthcoming unemployment :cry: ) Amongst the stuff was this LT77 gearbox which'll be replacing my GM180 autobox. This is the first time I've seen an LT77 in the flesh and I was pretty shocked at the sheer size of it, in my experience a manual gearbox is smaller and lighter than an equivalent autobox (ie used on the same model of car or engine) and this isn't, I can just about lift it but it's a bit dissapointing that it's so big and heavy. I've had a look at the 'identification' topic in this forum section but I can't see any G22A type numbers on this box, anyone know what it might be from? If it's SD1 then I'm not surprised it was such a heavy car!!

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

G22A is an SD1 police spec box

Rover Gearbox Codes from my site

G16A SD1 2000
G17A SD1 2300/2600
G19A SD1 3500 SE/VP
G22A SD1 3500 POLICE SPEC
G23A SD1 2600 POLICE SPEC
G26A SD1 2400 DIESELS
G27A SD1 2000 LATE MODEL
G28A SD1 VITESSE
G30A SD1 SHERPA VANS

Lt77 is that big or heavy, you should see a T56 :shock:

Here is a pic to show the difference between the Lt77 and a T5

Edit..... I should add that isn't an SD1 gear stick extension. By the looks of it its alloy which means its from a Jag[/img]

Rick-Manta

Post by Rick-Manta »

Thanks Marki. I should have mentioned the remote isn't original to the box as you've noticed, it is alloy and it'll take the stick to exactly the same place as the standard manta position when using the mountings I have. I had no idea it was Jag, though a few recent manta projects I've been advising on other sites are using Jag XJS 4 speed auto's so they can use the standard GTE axle.

I did use G22A just as an example, it's not on the box. I can't find any codes like it (the ones in your list) to identify it. It's not crucial to my build but it's nice to know what everything is from.

Cheers mate.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

the code I think is on the right hand side of the box low down and is stamped into the casting as part of the serial number.

Rick-Manta

Post by Rick-Manta »

Thanks mate. The serial number on the bottom middle grid sqaure on the right hand side is RKG 0558 V3334 on the square next to this there's a faint KK507 stamped and two square above this (diagonal from the Leyland logo) is 22 H O. Still, nothing like the G##A type codes.

Are the boxes from the police spec SD1s and the Sherpa van ones made stronger than standard SE/VP? Or are all LT77's pretty much identical.

Thanks for adding the pic of the T5. Cripes, I never new the RV8 manual 'box range were so huge!! Please forgive my ignorance as I'm only use to the Manta 1.8 Getrag 5 speed and the Sierra Type 9, in comparison they're tiny!

Just to add, my LT77 as above was previously fitted to a manta with a V8 conversion which I know is cheating in a way, but bloody handy! I've not only got the shorter remote but the custom made crossmember/mount and the speedo cable (made by 'Speedy cables') will plug n' play onto the manta's. It set me back £300 and a 3 hour round trip so I hope I wasn't ripped off! I'm sure with a fluid change and a couple of coats of black laquer and it'll do me proud once fitted. I did originally want to use the P6 four speed which everyone I asked (this site and others) told me to avoid and use this 'box. With a 70's car and V8 motor, I really wanted to have a 'four on the floor' but I trusted better judgement and it's paid off :D

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

I don't recognise any of those numbers, sorry.

That T5 is actually a Ford Sierra box Although they did live behind the RV8 in TVR's.

Pocket rocket
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Pocket rocket »

I think the ID code should be stamped on the plain surface at the the bottom of the box in this picture.

Image[/img]

The codes you quoted are (I think) the casting codes on the main body.

Rick-Manta

Post by Rick-Manta »

By the plain surface do you mean the oval shaped petruding bit next to the drain plug? If so, it's blank on mine. No worries, I just thought it'll be nice to say when the car's finished "it's got a 'box from a Police car" or something. Thanks for the help.

Rick-Manta

Post by Rick-Manta »

I must apologise for being a c**t here!

I got a wire brush on the flat piece you guys pointed out, scrubbed off a load of gunk, then a load of rust, then the bloody number shows through!
-19ABlahblahblah
Which must denote it being a 3500 SD1 SE/VP, cool 8)

Sorry to have been a pain and thanks again for the help, got there in the end eh?! :?

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”