Rear axle replacement Scimitar GTE

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Lucke

Rear axle replacement Scimitar GTE

Post by Lucke »

Hi!

Tomorrow I plan to weld the upper mounts for the rear coilovers, then my chassis restoration is ended and I can start with the engine mounts!!!

I haven't been visible on the forum for a while, lot's of work with job, family, house etc...

Here are some garage pictures showing my project:

This picture shows the chassis one month ago, since this picture was shot the wattslinkage brackets etc. has been welded in place.

Since June the Ford 5.0 HO Mustang V8 and the big Supra R154 gearbox has been docked together.

I've also made a disc brake conversion on the rear brakes:

Before I make a driveshaft between the gearbox and the rear axle I have to decide which rear axle I will use. I feel a little bit unsure about the Scimitar original axel. I don't like the sticking hubs. I destroyed one of the hubs when putting the halfshafts in a press. The threads on my halfshafts was already gone. I found a pair of hubs and halfshafts on the Scimitar Yahoo group. Not in perfect, but better condition. All the seals in my rear axle needs to be changed etc.
What do you think about the original Salisbury axle? Is it worth a restore, will it manage 400hp? Do you have proposals of any other axle that would be a better choice?
What do you think about using a rear axle from a japanese SUV or pickup truck? I think they are cheap, reliable and often contains a LSD? Or maybe an American axle like Ford 9", lot's of parts available...

.oO Lucke Oo.

Lucke

Post by Lucke »

One more question!

I'm offered a fully reconditioned GTE SE6 axle which have been driven 5000 miles before it was laid up for 15 years ago.

Is there any differences between the SE5a and SE6 axles? Will the SE6 axle fit my 1973 GTE SE5a without modifications?

Best Regards
Lucas
.oO Lucke Oo.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

the 6 axle is much wider than the 5 so no it wont fit.

Lucke

Post by Lucke »

katanaman wrote:the 6 axle is much wider than the 5 so no it wont fit.
Thanks!!
.oO Lucke Oo.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Why is it that everybody from outside the UK seems to have massive workshops / sheds? :cry:
Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”