Jag IRS

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Perry,

That very interesting, I would think that the lack of tramp is probably because you have equal power distribution with the phantom grip and coupled to the auto box you dont have the sudden shock of dropping the clutch as with a traditional racing start, so the suspension loads up more progressively.

I found with my old leaf springs which were rock hard, that they did not allow the suspension to load up with the weight transferance front to rear, which induced hop which leads to tramp as the suspension loads and unloads.

I find that with the new reversed spring eye 110lb springs which are softer, that even on quite agressive starts that if you feed the clutch in progressively that the rear suspension squats down and loads up and there is no tramp which was a pleasant surprise.

Don't know if you spotted it but there has been an interesting discussion in the Electrical section on advance curves and timing which is relevent to your new 4.6 in that the larger later engines require less total advance than the 3.5 engines, 28 degrees is recommended by John Eales (JE Developments) who should know what he's talking about, and some useful links on how to set up your distributor to achieve the correct curve and total advance.

Good luck with next years racing, hoping to see you get into the 11's. If my cars fully sorted I hope to get up to the Pod to see some action.

Kevin.

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”