9" pics or info

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

9" pics or info

Post by stevieturbo »

Anyone have any pics or info relating to the 9" stuff ?

What sort of housings are available locally, what sort of cost ? I'll proob need to do some cutting and welding anyway, and need custom shafts made to suit my wheels etc

I seen Jay's yellow Porsche a while back at Santa Pod with his custom fabbed rear end, and it looked superb...but perhaps a tad expensive ??

I was removing that f**king awful spool from my car at the weekend as I finally got a new LSD, and just discovered a slight twist in one of my new 31 spline shafts ;( Ive only been using it since May FFS

Not sure what my next step will be. Apparently there are 33 and 35 spline setups available for the 8.8", but they require 9" axle ends welded on ?? Cant find that much info really.
Not sure what LSD options are available with those though either.
I will NOT use a spool again. Bloody horrible things.

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Little bit of axle info from some hot rod guys when i asked about 8, 8.8 and 9 inchers: not much but HTH:

9 inch axles have 1,000,000 parts readily available but can get expensive plus they take more HP to turn. In fact they are not very efficient at all. Strong as a Russian internet bride though. Don't end up with a Lincoln one (the top horizontal rib falls down in a curve) as these are 9 1/4 ring gears and have a 5x5 PCD as do most post 73 full size 9" axles like on Thunderbirds and some trucks ect. 28 spline axles taper so you are limited on where you can narrow a stock shaft although station wagons have fuque off thick shafts that stay thick till the splines.

Just to add to that. Don't pass a 9 1/4" axle by, the casing has the strongest axle tubes fitted to any 9" casing complete with big bearings. It has 31 spline axles and a bloody strong third member, LSD's do turn up and a 9" third member fits straight in.

8.8 inch axle. The things against them is that they are a C clip axle so to expensive to narrow and ugly from the back. Plusses are they are just about as strong as a 9". Get one from a late bronco and you will find disc brakes and an LSD as stock and they are not that expensive yet. IMO they are a very good axle it's just the 8&9 inch are more de rigueur for Hot Rods

You can get a c clip eliminator kit for the 8.8 axles i`ve got one on my 10 bolt, it consists of a bearing with a plate attached so it can be pressed onto the shaft in place of the normal outer bearing and the plate bolts through the outer axle collar and through the brake drum, not expensive less than $100 with fitting kit for mine.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Its not so much the axle, or the CWP thats teh problem here. Its the shafts.

So really, I dont need a 8, 8.8, 9 whatever. I just need stronger shafts. Im already using custom made 31 spline Moser shafts in my 8.8", which really havent lasted at all, and ive been using c-clip elims throughout. But again, this only reduces the chances of your wheel going AWOL in the event of a shaft failure.
As well as introducing annoying oil leaks via them :evil:

So, if I can get 33, or 35 spline shafts, and a suitable LSD for the 8.8", then that will be my cheapest option.
But I dont know whats involved with fitting these. Ive seen talk of having to fit 9" axle flanges onto the 8.8" tubes. Why ? I dont know.

Maybe larger bearings are required or something ? Although I think some said it was because the 9" c-clip elims are less prone to leaking ?

If I could retain my 8.8" axle ends and c-clip elims, that would be far far easier for me, as thats how my caliper bracket bolts on....using these holes.

So, what is involved fitting 33/35 spline shafts into an 8.8" ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

The only place i can think of to ask apart from the speed shops is ukstreetracers.co.uk, Mr Mad is a member and there's some fast/high power cars there, maybe one of those guys has some info.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

ive emailed a lot of people for their thoughts..

Andy Robinson and Hauser in the UK, and Moser, Strange, Mark Williams, and a few other places in the US.

After a lot of searching today, it appears there are 33 spline LSD options for the 8.8".
Most people seem to say the Strange shafts, are far superior to the Mosers...so that sounds encouraging.

A Strange shaft/diff upgrade to 33 spline, retaining all the rest of my bits, should be the cheapest option.

the diffs are an Auburn on the Moser site, and Strange list what they call a "Pro Clutch" type diff, whatever that means.

All I know, is that I do not want a locker style diff. I like to be able to go round corners as well as straight lines :)
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

mr mad aka J is also a member on here stevie.
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Sounds like a good plan :)

I'm trying to choose an axle setup to handle an eventual 450-500 hp/torque. Find it very confusing so far, one person says one thing, another something else. Web info varies a lot as well. fun & games. Or, a whole lot of searching more like...

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I had an idea he was....just didnt know his new username !!!!

wanna buy my 8.8" ??? lol It will defo handle 500bhp all day long.

62.5" drive flange to drive flange, 5x112mm PCD
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

PM on its way...

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”