LT77 and some gearbox questions

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

RangieMatt

LT77 and some gearbox questions

Post by RangieMatt »

Hi,

I've got a few questions about gearboxes, so here goes.

Can anyone tell me what kind of power you can reasonably put through an LT77 gearbox?

Also, what's the best gearbox I could use with an Chevy 5.7 engine?

I'm not at all familiar with the Chevy motor or gearboxes to be honest, hence what are probably silly questions, but we all start somewhere.

I'm pulling my Range Rover off the road this month to start renewing the chassis and shell, and I can't decide whether I want to go with a stroked rover motor or buy myself a new chevy engine.

If I'm missing something blatantly obvious, please point it out :lol:

Matt

1991 Range Rover Vogue 3.9 EFI

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

I am totally biased here but on the rangie I would buy a one of the iron blocked versions of the Chevy ls engine with its auto box (I presume you want an auto) and all the ancilleries like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY-SM ... enameZWDVW
make an adapter into the RR transfer box and buy this months hotrod and find out how to get an extra 70 BHP without even changing the cam.
That money won't buy you a 220 bhp on a rover rebuild. these engines are much cheeper than the 5.7 ls units and make virtually the same power.
If you want the older gen 1 small block then I would go 383 on a cast crank, as it costs about the same to buy one as part of a rebuild kit and import it as getting a regrind on the standard crank over here and buying the bits off UK supliers for the rebuild. I again presume you are not going to be after more than 500 bhp and less than 7000 revs so you should be OK on a cast crank.
You'll find the 5.3 gen 3 engine easiest to fit as it is quite a bit smaller than the rover and definatly smaller than the Gen 1
Best of luck
Mike
poppet valves rule!

RangieMatt

Post by RangieMatt »

Hi Mike,

thanks for your reply. I hadn't considered an iron block new engine at all actually, so thanks. What are these like on a reliabilty and parts front? I was keen on the idea of an older engine as there is widespread parts availability and they have a pretty solid reputation.

Also, if possible, I'd prefer to keep a manual transmission, but if this isn't a viable option I would use an auto box.

I'm by no means set on any engine, I'm trying to weigh up pro's and con's and look at all the options first. I'd even keep the rover V8, but it's expensive to tune in comparison to other engines.
1991 Range Rover Vogue 3.9 EFI

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

I assume youre talking about putting it into a range rover. Doubt very much the lt77 will take chevy power. the older 4 speed would, buts that's a POS.

as for getting a chevy into a range rover - full details on my site:
http://www.mez.co.uk/gearboxfaq.html

As for sourcing an engine and box:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=019
Contact the seller. I got mine for considerably less - i think you may be able to do a deal with him.
I'm working on the adapter for the 4l80e at the moment:
http://www.mez.co.uk/4l80e-1.html
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

the iron bloch version of the gen3 is probably more reliable than the earlier engine, and certainly stronger than the ally version, get a copy of the current hotrod magazine and have a read :D . they are covering the 6 litre version but it all applies to the 5.3.
if you are going the gen1 route I have 4 vortec heads £75 for the best pair but you will need $120 for a head rebuild kit £100 by you have paid postage and vat. If you can find a late block I have most of a rotating assembly but you would need to do a rebuild you would need new pistons.
I am going on holiday in the morning but PM me and ill reply when I get back.
I still think the cheepest route is the 5.3 with the transmission
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

/anorak mode/
That's not a 4l80e hanging of the back of that engine, its a 4l60e.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”