Reversing light switch and LT77 sherpa remote

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

richardbounds

Reversing light switch and LT77 sherpa remote

Post by richardbounds »

Hi all,

I hope you don't mind me asking a question here even though I don't actually have a V8 (the engine is a Dolly sprint unit, so almost half a V8, if that counts? :D ).

I've just fitted a sherpa remote to my LT77 gearbox (ex-TR7), and I'm a bit stuck trying to see how the reversing light switch is supposed to work. It looks as though the switch is on the wrong side of the remote (so it would work if reverse gear was below 5th). Hopefully this photo (taken with reverse gear selected) might show things more clearly. As you can see, the reversing switch (on the left) is nowhere near the gear linkage:

Is this normal when fitting a Sherpa remote to these gearboxes, have I got the wrong parts, or am I just missing something else? All suggestions gratefully received...

Thanks!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Did the Sherpa remote come from an LT77 or R380? On the R380, reverse is below fifth......

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Pocket rocket
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Pocket rocket »

This is where the Reverse Light Switch is on my LT77....
Image[/img]

...which unfortunately is on the other side from yours

tetlow
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by tetlow »

Mines exactly as Pocket Rockets. :D
Dave
1973 MGBGT
1975 MGB V8

I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but it turns out it was a train comming!!

richardbounds

Post by richardbounds »

Very odd. I was told the remote came from an LT77, but there's no way for me to check. One strange thing is that the detent does seem to be the right way around for reverse on the LT77. Maybe I'll just have to weld in a new boss for the switch on the other side.

Thanks all.

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

Sorry to butt in. Pocket Rocket, is that welding I see on your remote. Has that been shortened. I had mine shortened but the welding was crap. He said it was because it was crap metal.

Pocket rocket
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Pocket rocket »

It is a join of some sort - will have to check that it's actually a weld (in storage in shed at moment.
That remote came to me like that - shortened. Works well but was a little too short for my Sumo.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

looks like a typical weld on that type of alloy. don't know what the composition is but it doesn't hold any structure when its melted so you don't get the row of pennies type weld like you do on quality aluminium. Its the same alloy as the front covers and probably the rocker covers. Bike engine covers used to be the same as well.

bodger
Guru
Guru

Post by bodger »

on the sherpa boxes , which is where that remote came from , is below first , and then it will interact with the switch ... reverse light is not needed for the MOT , so i have fitted switch on the dash

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”