Gearbox swop options.....

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Gearbox swop options.....

Post by paulmanta »

I have a 3.5 Rover V8 in an Opel Manta B, At the moment it has an auto box in it which works fine but i would prefer a manual box.
The question is which box is prefered by other users, I have a Rover SD1 5 speed manual box and bellhousing which could go in the car but when i drove a similar car i found there was quite a gap between 2nd and 3rd gear, i want a the car to have a good top end as well as good acceleration.

What are the options other than the Rover box i have ? Is there a TVR box available, does anyone do a bellhousing to put a BMW /Getrag box on the Rover ?

suggestions please !!

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

there are plenty of options, TVR used a LT77, then a T5, the suposedly best of the lt77s existed behind a series 3 XJ jag, then there is the R 380, very similar to the lt77, but stronger, I use a Toyota Supra box behind a home adapted auto bellhousing and a special clutch, other boxes I have seen used, are the Ford Type 9 , Capri 3 litre boxes and the Mk4 Zephyr box.
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulmanta »

I had thought about the T5, how hard is it to find a bellhousing for one of these ?
The other thing that crossed my mind was a 6 speed box, were these fitted to TVRs ? I would imagine them to be quite pricy if they do exist.

one of the problems i face is i am down in Penzance in cornwall so not very close to any really good breaker yards.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

You can buy bellhousings for the T5 new or get a secondhand TVR bellhousing as well as using an auto bellhousing with an adapter plate.

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”