Tremec t45

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Paul V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Tremec t45

Post by Paul V8 »

Hello, does anybody know if the tremec t45 has a removeable bell housing, is it the same as the borg warner t5. I was hopng to fit one to a rover v8 in a triumph tr7.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

I think that's the mustang gearbox from the late 90s ish (4.6) if it is then yes the bellhousing comes off no idea if it is the same bolt pattern as a T5 though as they are different boxes.

Greg55_99
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Greg55_99 »

The T45 bellhousing is NOT removable. Perhaps I should say, it's removable... but not swapable. It's actually the entire front of the transmission.

It's not useful for anthing other than a Ford V8.

Greg

Paul V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Paul V8 »

Ok thanks. Ant ideas what gearbox i could use on a rover v8? I have an LT77 but i have been breaking 1 a year. Would a T5 be any better. Are there other options?

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

T5 is an easy option with bellhousing's being readily available its a better box than the LT77 as well. Another option is an R380 from one of the later sherpas, your existing bellhousing will bolt straight on. Its also a better box than the LT and is probably cheaper than the T5 route. Other options are the Toyota boxes but the bellhousing conversion kit will probably have to come from OZ and are a bit pricey but the box is supposed to be very strong.

Greg55_99
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Greg55_99 »

Hey.. it's an idea..

A Tremec 3550 5-speed (now "TKO") heavy duty, high performance transmission and a 10" clutch were used in place of the Elite's weaker original 5-speed. (The Lotus 5-speed was taken from a "Maxi", a smaller model exclusive to the European market.) The Tremec 5-speed is the same transmission that Ford used in the Mustang Cobra and also used in a few other high performance cars. The Mustang had a supercharged 281cid (4.6L) V8 with 390hp and 390lbs/ft of torque. To mate the transmission to the engine block, I used a Rover "automatic" bell housing by having a thin 3/8" aluminum plate sandwiched between the two so the internal clutch dimensions worked with the Tremec.

http://www.britishv8.org/Other/RichardNorman.htm

Greg

Paul V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Paul V8 »

So where might i get a Tremec 3550 or tko 500/600? is there any car that uses one from factory? is there a problem with bell housings?

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”