gearbox oil change

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

texpis
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

gearbox oil change

Post by texpis »

Hi All
Managed to drown the tomcat at the weekend. everything has dried out pretty well but the ZF autobox oil is pink. I have changed it once and after starting it turns pink again. is there a way of emptying the whole box including torque converter?

Mick

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Only way to drain the torque convertor is to remove the engine or box, and take off the convertor.....

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

texpis
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by texpis »

Thanks for the reply, thought that might be the case. Will I have damaged the box?

Mick

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

That's a good question. If nothing has gone rusty inside, then it will be OK, but quite how you tell that, I wouldn't like to say!!

I think I'd suck it and see.. But of course if you take it out to drain the torque convertor, then put it back in and it doesn't work properly that's a lot of wasted effort.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Sounds like quite a bit got in..

Be very careful with water in autoboxes. Have seen the water boil causing the atf to come out the dipstick tube, all over the hot exhausts and goodbye car - seriously.

Have read about (but never tried) - drilling a hole in the t/c to drain the atf out - then fitting a blind pop rivet in the seal the hole.

Definately remove the pan and replace the filter. Might take quite a few gallons of ATF to get it all out. Not knowing the fluid layouts on the ZF, but I wonder if you can put the oil cooler return into a large container and then pump the fluid out bit by bit, whilst adding fresh fluid.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”