auto box racing start

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

texpis
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

auto box racing start

Post by texpis »

Hi all says it in the title realy just wondering what is the best way to do a racing start. I have a Bowler Tomcat with range rover ZF autobox. Can I rev it in neutral and slam in to gear or will this destroy the box?

Mick

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

You need a trans brake for that don't you?

You put it in gear, engage the brake which locks the box up then rev the engine to the point where the torque converter is really biting but the brake is holding the the car stationary and when the lights change you release the brake and all hell breaks loose!

Slamming an auto box in gear whilst revving it would bugger it up surely?
V8'less but a fountain of dorky knowledge ref v8's!

texpis
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by texpis »

Thanks for the reply I haven’t tried slamming it in gear from neutral thought it may not be good for the box. I have been left foot on the brakes and revving similar to what you suggest. Just thought if any one would have a better idea they would be on here.

Mick

4x4x383

Post by 4x4x383 »

Without a transbrake, which is only really used for drag racing or similar, keeping your footbrake on with a few revs is the best bet.

This has the advantage of taking up all the slack in the drivetrain so you are much less likely to break something.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Holding the car on the footbrake and flooring the throttle is a standard test in the Land Rover manual to check the torque convertor stall speed.

However it does say only do it for 2-3 secs max! Things will get very hot very quickly.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

def dont slam it into gear.
As others have said, foot on the brake - give it some gas. Will need some practice to avoid bogging it.
Drag racers change to the torque convert to increase the 'stall' point. So they can launch at higer RPM. But on a 4x4 (like me) - the last thing you want is a high stall convertor - as the fluid will get very hot when going slowly.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

As said before, dont stuff it into gear at high revs. I left foot the brake and hold the revs at 3000 on mine. I know my coverter has a 2800-3000rpm stall speed so thats what I go by.
Transbrake is the way to go for hard launches, but that brings its own set of problems with the drivetrain.
Do you know the stall speed of your converter?
You can experiment once you know this.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

texpis
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by texpis »

Hi Thanks for the replies guys. I dont know the stall speed but I believe Range Rover auto boxes stall at 2K I will have a play :lol: When I was experimenting before I did notice it bog down thats why I asked the question what causes that?

Mick

ozrover
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

re

Post by ozrover »

DONT REV THE ZF IN NEAUTRAL AT ALL!!!! If you do a quick websearch,you will find heaps on how a design fault with the hp22 and hp24 boxes allows fluid to bypass in neautral and park which partially engages the clutch packs causing them to heat up and burn out.Even emisions testing in the US causes this on BMW's,volvo's RR's ect.It is the weak link with this box.For the type of use you are talkin about .better off with a TF727 or a chev t350,t400 or beefed t700.
Regards Doug

x.l.r.8

Post by x.l.r.8 »

In addition, jack the rear up of the car and run it through the gears, or drive it around to warm up the trans fluid, cold oil in an auto does nothing for the bands, it slips more and is far less consistant. And on the strip consistancy is the name of the game. Many racers get frustrated when dialing the car in the 60ft because they have not preped the car the same each time. Reving with the car in gear and your foot on the brake will cook the trans in a very short period.
Yes it's a Porsche and yes, it should sound like that!

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”