Rover SD1 LT77 clutch problems? Help Please!!!!

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Goughie
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Rover SD1 LT77 clutch problems? Help Please!!!!

Post by Goughie »

Hi,
I have recently purchased an unfinished project Capri and am having trouble getting the clutch to operate. The car has been stood for a number of years so could the clutch plate could be seized?
This has been suggested and was told to try and shock it free by running the engine in gear, foot on clutch and stamp on the brakes? I have tried this to no effect.
I also have cut an access hole in the bell housing to make sure everything was ok and it all seems to be in order, see photo
I have also used a bolt through the bell housing to make sure i am getting full travel on the operating arm.
Any suggestions of things to try before i have to take the engine out?
Thanks in anticipation,
Paul

Sometimes i ask myself, why do i bother? Then she starts up and everything becomes clear.....

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Unfortunately the clutch plate could well be seized......

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Goughie
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Goughie »

Cheers Chris, it is certainly looking that way :(
Is there a way i can free it without splitting the engine and box?
Thanks again
Sometimes i ask myself, why do i bother? Then she starts up and everything becomes clear.....

ramon alban
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: Rover SD1 LT77 clutch problems? Help Please!!!!

Post by ramon alban »

Goughie wrote: This has been suggested and was told to try and shock it free by running the engine in gear, foot on clutch and stamp on the brakes? I have tried this to no effect.
Goughie. How many times did you try? and how fast were you going and was the car on even on the road - its not clear from your notes.

My son has a saying! Dad, If you are hitting it as hard as you can and it doesn't move - use a bigger hammer!

Well in your case - more times and more speed will do it!

Yes, you'll prolly need a private road or somewhere quiet, but it will give way eventually.

Oh yes I forgot! Keep your foot on the accelerator when you hit the brakes.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Given the picture you have taken...

get someone to put their foot on the clutch.. Then try and pry the friction plate free from the flywheel or cover. Try to do this for as much of the disc as possible. This will help the clutch release when using the methods mentioned earlier.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

v8alex
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by v8alex »

Out of interest, how long would it take for the clutch to sieze if stood for a while ? Got me worried now.....

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

I have seen it happen n a matter of weeks before. Not as severe as yours but stuck all the same.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

A lot would depend on weather conditions, humidity etc, where the car is stored.

Ive had cars sit for years with no problems, and some with mild sticking.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Pocket rocket
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Pocket rocket »

Another tip that has helped in the past is to get the engine really hot before you try to free the clutch

Goughie
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Goughie »

Thanks for all the replies :D
Goughie. How many times did you try? and how fast were you going and was the car on even on the road - its not clear from your notes.
Unfortunately, i am unable to drive/tow the car anywhere, so the way i have tried is to jack the back end up, start it in gear, rev it quite high and then stamp on the brakes? I tried this 10-15 times.

I will have another go tonight, this time trying to pry the friction plate first, getting the engine warm and then see what happens.

Thanks for all your help so far,

I will let you know.................

Goughie
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Goughie »

:D :D :D :D :D Thanks to everyone :D :D :D :D :D

Yes, as you might have guessed, it is working!

I bolted the clutch arm back (working alone) and as stevieturbo suggested started to prise the plate, turn it, prise it etc, within a couple of rotations it was free.

Reconnected the rather dodgy looking clutch cable to master cylinder lever bracket and to my amazement it works great.

This was all done really quick so i decided to upgrade from the gravity fed paint can hung on corner of bonnet :oops: to a proper fuel pump meaning i can now drive the car without having the bonnet up :lol:

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions, i can now get it running properley before i have the engine out for welding and painting.

Paul

motherofgod

Post by motherofgod »

I was told,although you fixed it, that to jack up rear, start it in gear and leave running, like go make tea, the heat in the end will seperate the clutch. It was done on a MGB V8 I know.

glad you fixed it anyway :D

James

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”