prop

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

v8saph

prop

Post by v8saph »

another Q before i start with putting the rv8 in my sierra i just want to get everything done so i can crack on with it is there any easy way of bolting up my prop to a lt77 or will i have to get one custom made the car is a 2.0 dohc saphire

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

I think you will end up with having to get one made, as the LT77 has a flange on the back of the box, and as you are aware the diff also has a flange, so the prop you need HAS to have a built in slider joint, I have never had much success with the SDI CV prop, Most places that make props have the sliders in stock so it should not be a problem
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

v8saph

Post by v8saph »

thanks pal as i thought :roll: never mind will have to spend some hard earned :(

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I've had a few props done over the years, at Recoprop and Bailey Morris. Both places have charged me about £100 for a shortened / balanced prop when I've supplied all the bits.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

v8saph

Post by v8saph »

where are they based chris?

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Recoprop is in Luton, just had 2 props made by them

http://www.reco-prop.com/

v8saph

Post by v8saph »

thanks will give them a ring :D

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

Last and only prop I have had done at Reco Prop cost me £475, needless to say I was not impressed, there are lots of companies dotted around the country who will make props for you and i am certain there will be one nearer than RecoProp.
THE SMOKING GNU

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

I just had 2 made by them one with a slipper, cost 413 including postage.

These were outright articles and not modifications

Very impressed

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Bailey Morris are in St. Neots.

I've had good service from both Bailey Morris and Reco.

http://www.baileymorris.co.uk/

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

v8saph

Post by v8saph »

thanks guys it needs to be as cheap as poss as its just a track toy not a daily drive if it just needs shortning i have a guy that can do it i wil have to way it up when the limp is in :)

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

v8saph wrote:thanks guys it needs to be as cheap as poss as its just a track toy not a daily drive if it just needs shortning i have a guy that can do it i wil have to way it up when the limp is in :)
I made the prop for my Morris myself, using an SD1 prop and a Sherpa prop. Totally coincidentally they are the exact same size tubing, though one is a cv joint on a UJ. I made a 6" long steel sleeve tube that tapped lightly into both props to line them up and I welded round it, also added a couple of keyhole welds on each tube.

v8saph

Post by v8saph »

Paul B wrote:
v8saph wrote:thanks guys it needs to be as cheap as poss as its just a track toy not a daily drive if it just needs shortning i have a guy that can do it i wil have to way it up when the limp is in :)
I made the prop for my Morris myself, using an SD1 prop and a Sherpa prop. Totally coincidentally they are the exact same size tubing, though one is a cv joint on a UJ. I made a 6" long steel sleeve tube that tapped lightly into both props to line them up and I welded round it, also added a couple of keyhole welds on each tube.
Hows it holding up paul i need it strong enough for real hard launches etc
i hope i am able to do this as it would save loads of money :)

Nick Moore

Post by Nick Moore »

ian.stewart wrote:I think you will end up with having to get one made, as the LT77 has a flange on the back of the box, and as you are aware the diff also has a flange, so the prop you need HAS to have a built in slider joint, I have never had much success with the SDI CV prop, Most places that make props have the sliders in stock so it should not be a problem
I was wondering about the need for a slider joint? The diff and engine/gearbox are both bush-mounted to the chassis in the Sierra, so neither will move around much. I ask because my other car, a Triumph Herald, has a bush-mounted diff and solid propshaft with no slider. Is the slider to avoid stressing the UJs with movement of the engine?
It's not a bodge if no one finds out!

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

there needs to be an amount of play to facilitate getting the prop betewwn the flanges, and the movement of the engine /box fore and aft under normal driving conditions will force a load up thru the gearbox output shaft , or knock out the pinion bearings
THE SMOKING GNU

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”