ROVER V8 STEEL ROCKER ARMS

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

j.johnson23
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

ROVER V8 STEEL ROCKER ARMS

Post by j.johnson23 »

Has anyone come across 'universal` steel rocker arms made by a company called FAI.
The part number is R815.
They are not handed but are straight.I`ve no idea if their anygood so any info would be appreciated.

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: ROVER V8 STEEL ROCKER ARMS

Post by DEVONMAN »

j.johnson23 wrote:Has anyone come across 'universal` steel rocker arms made by a company called FAI.
The part number is R815.
They are not handed but are straight.I`ve no idea if their anygood so any info would be appreciated.
I saw these recently on ebay and wondered if they were any good. I assume that even though the arms are straight, the valve pad is offset to match a handed item. If so, you probably got righthand ones given the R in the part number.
Regards Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

probably the same as all the other steel rockers in that they don't have valve pads, they just have a wider tip so aren't handed in any way. No idea if that make is any good or not though.

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

katanaman wrote:probably the same as all the other steel rockers in that they don't have valve pads, they just have a wider tip so aren't handed in any way. No idea if that make is any good or not though.
Hi. Just checked out some Rover steel rockers and the itegral polished valve pad is not the full width of the rocker but is off set to make them handed. Don't know who makes them but part numbers are 602153 and 602154.

Regards Denis
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I've had 2 sets of these. One from ebay and one from a known supplier.
Both sets were loose on new rocker shafts. I mean looser than the knackered ones I took off.

Got my money back on both.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

mgbv8 wrote:I've had 2 sets of these. One from ebay and one from a known supplier.
Both sets were loose on new rocker shafts. I mean looser than the knackered ones I took off.

Got my money back on both.
I've had mine for ages so no chance of a refund. I've not tried them on the shafts but I suspect from what you have said I will not be happy with them. But thanks anyway for the info as I'd hate to be 90% into a rebuild and then find out that the rockers are crap.

Regards Denis
PS. What rubber do you run on the rear of that super quick B

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Following on from the last post, I have now tried the steel rockers on the new shafts and they are pretty loose and sloppy.

I note that RPI have steel rockers on ebay complete with shafts. In the text it states that they are oversize shafts but it goes on to say that you use the standard mounting posts. How does that work?? Lost me there :roll:

Regards Denis

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

You fit them using a large hammer! :shock:
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

kiwicar wrote:You fit them using a large hammer! :shock:
Best regards
Mike
Whilst searching for a large hammer in my large hammer box a file flopped into my hand :lol:
As a backup, I'm now searching my hacksaw box.
Regards Denis

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

DEVONMAN wrote:Following on from the last post, I have now tried the steel rockers on the new shafts and they are pretty loose and sloppy.

I note that RPI have steel rockers on ebay complete with shafts. In the text it states that they are oversize shafts but it goes on to say that you use the standard mounting posts. How does that work?? Lost me there :roll:

Regards Denis

You got the sames ones that I did then Denis :)
Crap aint they??

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Yeah ! Not worth machining special shafts and posts to fit the loose rockers. I wonder if any steel rockers are available to fit standard shafts?
Anbody seem them?

Mine will probably go in the bin.

Regards Denis

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

One option is to have the loose steel rockers fitted with bronze bushings and size them to new shafts.

OTOH, new shafts that I got were smaller in diameter than worn shafts. New steel rockers and new shafts resulted in more play that I have even seen in worn rocker asemblies :lol:

I bought a pair of 215 shafts from USA that were a lot better but not exactly cheap...

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

minorv8 wrote:One option is to have the loose steel rockers fitted with bronze bushings and size them to new shafts.

OTOH, new shafts that I got were smaller in diameter than worn shafts. New steel rockers and new shafts resulted in more play that I have even seen in worn rocker asemblies :lol:

I bought a pair of 215 shafts from USA that were a lot better but not exactly cheap...
Hi,
I did think about bushing but 16 items to manufacture, fit and ream did not grab me time or money wise. Also, the rocker steel may be crap quality anyway.

I will check the diameter of the shafts against OE as undersized shafts maybe exasperating the problem.

Regards Denis

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Have a look at the thread attached, might find it interesting:

http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... c&start=15

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

SuperV8 wrote:Have a look at the thread attached, might find it interesting:

http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... c&start=15

Tom.
Tom, Thanks for that. It says it all really. Very Interesting.
Lots of lessons learnt there.

Regards Denis

Return to “Engines Area”