Offenhauser 360 on Rover V8. Wedge plate ?

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Offenhauser 360 on Rover V8. Wedge plate ?

Post by paulmanta »

HI all,

I am building an engine up to fit to the Manta, I have an Offenhauser 360 inlet manifold and a FAST Ez-EFi system, I was running an Edelbrock 500cfm carb so was also using a single large open hole style wedge plate to bring the carb horizontal.

The Efi kit has no need of this wedge plate except as a means of making the air filter look level in the engine bay and to adapt the small 4 bolt offy to a large throttlebody base size, besides the new position of the engine means the angle of the old wedge plate is wrong now.

I want to get hold of a 4 barrel design wedge plate to fit below the new Ez-EFi but am struggling to find a supplier.

It needs to bolt onto the 360 and then allow me to fit the Efi throttle body on as I used to fit the carb.

Not 100% sure what angle yet but i would like to know if there are any supplers for various wedge plates or if I need to get a big chunk of Alloy and make one !

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

In all honesty I don't think you will achieve anything over the Eddy carb with this type of injection system if the injector/injectors are sitting on top of the intake manifold where the carb used to be.

Amusing you have the type of system above, the fuel once leaving the injector and entering the inlet manifold is just as likely to fall from suspension in the air as if it was metered from a carburettor.

One of the advantages of factory type EFi systems over carbs is the direct injection of fuel straight into the inlet port in the cylinder head. This will allow a leaner mixture to burn better in the combustion chamber.

A properly tuned Edelbrock 500 is hard to beat and doesn't have any electronics which may go wrong and leave you waiting for recovery at the side of the road.

If you are keen to use EFi I would locate a factory Rover V8 injection inlet manifold system.

Save yourself a whole lot of work for little or no benefit and put your current system on eBay.

All just in my humble opinion of course.

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulmanta »

Interesting points.

I was running a 390 Holley for a while but did not really like it, it seemed to fall out of adjustment really easily and I was forever trying to get it to idle properly, also leaked frequently, It was suggested I try a 500 Edelbrock, this was a vast improvement but I had some trouble with idle mixture and MOT tests, I know it was too much carb for the engine size and to get it 100% I would have needed to set it up on a rolling road to get it like I wanted it.

With all that in mind I bought a complete EFi engine and other bits with a mind to bung the whole lot in the car but in the mean time I was still looking for a newer, more tueable solution, I almost went for a mega squirt type of kit that I could build up myself but I had come across the Ez-EFi kit and thought it looked like a neat solution to the mixture hassles I am having.

I bought the kit in the US so did not spend the silly money on it that the UK suppliers seem to want, I am impressed with the quality of it and the while thing is utterly plug and play, very good tech support so far, when I have had to phone them they answer straight away and the emails are answered quickly, I would not get that with an old EFi pulled off a scrapyard car !

The issues with the inlet being arranged like a carb and the fuel falling out of suspension remain to be seen, it certainly cannot be any worse than the tuning/rolling road hassles I have had in the past. Seriously, I have spent as much in rolling roads over the years as the Ez-EFi kit cost !

I am going to be running the car to the Manta show at Billing in July, Come and have a chat with me if you are there and I will give you a good honest update as to how it is performing, I expect good things, A lot of my US contacts have told me of mates with this system on their cars and how good it is.

The question of the wedge plate is being solved by the laser cutters right now, I designed my own to fit my application, it taks longer but I get what I want.

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulmanta »

Some other points I forgot to add earlier.

I don't want to clutter up my nice clean engine bay with bloody great big airboxes or pipes and mass airflow meters, i also like the look of the chrome airfilter sat on top of the engine.

The injectors are below the throttle plates so loss of fuel/air suspension ought to be less of a problem as it does not have to navigate past the plates.

Besides, I fancied it once I had downloaded the manuals and looked into it !

:)

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

Sounds like it should be quite straight forward to set up from what you say. I hope it all goes well. I will certainly come and have a chat at Billing next year.

BTW rolling roads are only as good as the operators running them. Years ago I called a rolling road with the intention of getting the carb set up by them. When I asked the operator on the phone if he could tune my Eddy 500 he assured me all carbs worked on the same prince-able and he wouldn't have any problems tuning mine. I asked if he stocked the different rods and jets necessary for a tuning session, he replied he never found it necessary to change any of those as he could do it all on the volume screws......I never called back!

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulmanta »

Oh yes, tuning on a rolling road is a hard to find skill in west Cornwall, I have been to a couple of places but i want to be able to fiddle myself due to my control freak nature !

I did a lot of checking out of the FAST Ez-EFi kit before I bought it, I normally view items like this that promise easy fitting and better running right out of the box with deep suspicion until proved otherwise and so far i am happy with the choice I made in terms of quality and pack contents, back up is good too, a couple of questions I posed via email were answered within an ten minutes.

I am fitting it to the car as soon as i can, the boxes have all been unpacked and checked and instructions read, the youtube vids have been watched and I am hoping for good things.

One of the things that swayed me was the HotRod magazine review of the kit, those guys usually give a good honest review and if they don't like a product they will list why. They liked the FAST system.

Come and have a chat at Billing, If all goes well I will have the car there. I did a stand in the Autojumble last time but was not able to bring a car, this year i really want to do both, so I might bring a car up on the truck !

Alexchim

Post by Alexchim »

I will be very VERY intrested to see how the fast system works and how quicky/well it maps it self

From what ive read it will map it self in 200-300 miles

Idle will sort its self out in seconds!

And give great mpg's on part throttle thanks to its very simple computer set up

I was very tempted to go down this route with my tvr but it was all there already seemed abit silly to take it all apart to gain 5-10 hp and a couple of mpg

Where in the country are you? I would love to see this in person

Alex

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulmanta »

Hi Alex,

Down in sunny penzance ! Car is in bits as we speak, in the garage but work has stalled due to brand new Baby taking all my time, hope to escape to do a bit more really soon though, cabin fever is setting in.

Alexchim

Post by Alexchim »

Bit far for me, would cost me the best part of £250 in fuel

Lots of pictures instead i think!

What made you choose the Fast system?

Ive had loads of people trying to put me off it, but there's a part of me that still wants one!

What spec engine is it going on?

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”