Rover V8 Engine Numbers Updated:

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Trevor

Engine Size

Post by Trevor »

I took the sellers word on it being a 3.9.I live in Northern Ireland and bought the engine in England so I never saw it until it arrived.Ah well looks like it will be used anyway after reading about the 3.9 cracking problems.I have a good engine builder about 5 miles away called JRV8's hopefully he'll keep me right.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Yes have dealt with Jim a few times, he is a good guy. Wouldnt worry too much about 3.9's cracking but 4.0 4.6 blocks would seem to be a dead cert to crack sooner or later.

Trevor

JRV8

Post by Trevor »

I have been out chatting to him he is a wealth of knowlegde so I have a good source of info and parts.

v8 pete
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by v8 pete »

Ian Anderson wrote:There is a contact in Landrover who, for a small fee towards the landrover club will issue a letter that is acceptable to the SVA men in coats
(It worked for me in 2006)

Name

Eric Pagan
Traceability Systems
Land Rover
Lode Lane
Solihull
B92 8NW

0121 700 4524

Ian
hi i have been trying to get hold off eric for the last couple of days for a letter .but no one answering the phone
do you know how much letter costs and who do you make cheque payable to
regards pete

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

I bought a 15G numbered short engine from RPi over 8 years ago. It was re-linered from 3.5 to 3.9 by V8 Developments. I think V8D do or did all RPi's machining.
Chris Crane the owner of RPi told me the engine came from a batch of ex-military ones he bought at an MOD auction.

Goughie
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Goughie »

I have a 4.6 with a strange compression ratio stamped on it, the engine came from a scrap yard with Range Rover injection on it but have no other history, it is stamped:
CR9.37:1
S46D45366A
From the list this is supposedly a Morgan engine?
Could it have been a special build?
Any info would be great,
Cheers
Sometimes i ask myself, why do i bother? Then she starts up and everything becomes clear.....

Malcolm Tent

Post by Malcolm Tent »

My engine number - 28G00161- doesn't appear on any list I've found so far. Does anybody know what it might be from originally? I was told by the previous owner it was from a military LR, but I'd like it's provenance confirmed.
Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens.

roofus123

any ideas peeps

Post by roofus123 »

just bought a V8 for recon,,,engine number 48600495A Marcos? all the best and look forward to any responses...Shaun
Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

My list has it as a Morgan

roofus123

Post by roofus123 »

Thanks katanaman ..had a look on the various listings and had no luck with the 5A part and only saw the Morgans listed as 3A,,,Was advertised as a Rovercraft engine requiring a rebuild due to engine being a little tired...have removed the heads and so far its all mint
Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

its just the A that is significant the 5 part is just the engine number so far as I am aware.

K4000JB
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by K4000JB »

i have recently aquired a 4.2 out of a range rover with the engine no S40D00***A it is an intermediate block but with the earlier front cover perhaps this explains the S and A. Any other views welcomed
thanks in advance

texpis
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by texpis »

Hi Anyone recognise this number hard to read but looks like either 7A0005
or 3A0005

could it be 47A00005

What do you think

Last edited by texpis on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

I have copied below an email I sent to Mitchell Cotts giving the engine number of a 4.6 short engine I have bought from Rob at V8 Devlopments.

I am very happy with the deal Rob gave me £1,000 plus my old 3.9 short motor. The new short engine has been fitted with 4.0 pistons which brings the compression up on the 4.6 - I am aiming for 10 to1. It has also been balanced.

Enquiry‏

Sent: 08 December 2009 08:22:23
To: Ian Briggs
Cc: Andy Cook (andy.cook@gearboxes.com)

“enquiry: Hello, I am hoping you would be able to help with some information on a Rover V8 engine block with the following number XM46D306B24. I have been told the "XM" denotes the engine was manufactured/remanufactured or assemblied by Mitchell Cotts. Would you be able to confirm this? Does the number in some way denote the date of manufacture or re-manufacture.

I have seen Rover V8 blocks advertised for sale as being "Costcast" blocks, is the above engine a "Costcast" block?

I would be very grateful if you would get back to me with any information you may have on the above engine number.

Hi Paul,

I can confirm that the XM is our remanufacturing code. The 46D3 is the engine type, 06 is the year it was built, B is the month it was built so in this case it was February & 24 is the consecutive build number

This is not a coscast block as we didn’t start production with these blocks until July 2007

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Ian Briggs

Quality & Engineering Director

MCT ReMan Ltd
Winterstoke Road
Weston super Mare
BS24 9AT, England
tel: +44 (0) 1934 428016

mob +44 (0) 7813 677716
fax: +44 (0) 1934 414768
email: ian.briggs@gearboxes.com
Last edited by Muscle-Manta on Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

Further to the above I wrote again to Ian Briggs at Mitchell Cotts and asked if they had done anything to prevent the block cracking problems Land Rover had with these engines. His reply and the attached document are below.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Obviously when we took over the build program from Land Rover in 2005 we worked with their engineers to understand the problems that they had themselves during production & the thin wall condition was tabled. To ensure conformity our machinist at the time put in a 100% ultrasonic gauge check that enabled them to measure the wall thickness between the water jacket & the cylinder bore. Dependant on this size they established what variant of block could be used to build either a 4.0L or 4.6L engine & obviously they scrapped any block that was too thin in the area of concern. I have attached a section of the company’s process instructions that relate to the test they carried out for your interest. I hope this clarifies what you need to know & also provides you with the comfort that the engine supplied by us will not exhibit the “known” Land Rover failure.

Kind Regards

Ian

Image[/img][/url]

Return to “Engines Area”