Timing Cover Swap

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

asam_x

Timing Cover Swap

Post by asam_x »

Hi all. I have fitted a 3.5 RV8 into my Triumph 2500. Its an early engine, number 84015228 C. I have no idea what model the engine is from. I have an oil leak from the front crank seal and possible the rear one too. Question (s) I want to change to the SD1 timing cover, as this one has the rope seal. Exactly what else needs changing and is it a straight forward swap or anything else need to be changed? I will be fitting a complete new electronic distributor to do away with the points later. Will this cause an issue or straight fit? Thanks

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Timing Cover Swap

Post by DaveEFI »

ISTR from my P6 days that the dizzy drive was slightly different to the SD1. So not sure if an early dizzy will work with an SD1 front. Think you'll also need a matching water pump and fan. BTW, didn't remember they ever came with a rope seal at the front.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

I did a similar thing when I build my car. First engine was an early (P6 or Land Rover) engine. I was young and naive at the time and thought a Rover V8 was a Rover V8, didn't realise there were different variants.
I initially swaped the front cover due partly to the better seal but also because of the distributor. Early cover has points type distributor IIRC, later is electronic.

The other difference is the oil pump which is the same format (a couple of meshing gears) but is larger (longer gears) giving higher capacity - So another good reason to swap covers - And this is the reason for the distributor change, the drive to the oil pump differs, think it changed from male to female. You may be able to simply change the gear on the end, not sure, as I say I wanted the later, electronic dizzy anyhow.

I think water pump fitting is same (as long as you have low level pump from a 2WD installation, higher level setups are available but think these are all from 4WD vehicles) although the pulley arrangement may be different, I think the P6 brings the pulley back towards the engine simiilar to used in MGB-V8 cars but not an area I know much about.

asam_x

Post by asam_x »

Hi. I will be using a later distributor so will have no points to mess around with.. I'm hoping the water pump and pulleys are the same. I have the powertune short nose water pump on.

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

asam_x wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:54 pm
Hi. I will be using a later distributor so will have no points to mess around with.. I'm hoping the water pump and pulleys are the same. I have the powertune short nose water pump on.
That's interesting, not aware of that. What crank pulley does that align with?
Would be interested to see a photo if you could post one some time.
I have a P6 (I think) crank pulley and an SD1 pump with 'home made' pulley. May be interesed in fitting a shorter pump if it would put the pulley in same place. Or a link to any information would be appreciated

asam_x

Post by asam_x »

To be honest, i didn't even think about the pulley. I thought it would be the same as its only the cover getting changed.

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

asam_x wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:17 am
To be honest, i didn't even think about the pulley. I thought it would be the same as its only the cover getting changed.
I think you are correct rgarding the pulley, I suspect that the water pump locatation face will be in the same position with respect to the crank so I don't think you'll have a problem there (although I've been wrong before. Many times!).

I was just being selfish and thinking I may prefer a shorter water pump if they are available. I turned up an elongated pulley for mine and althogh it's sturdy enough it's always bothered me that the tightness of the belt is creating a bending force as it's 3-4" back from the mount face. If there is a pump with the pulley mount face further in I'd be interested.

I know there are pumps which mount the pulley further back, as used on MGBs and the like but this is still a long pump with an elongated pulley mount, so similar to what I already have.

asam_x

Post by asam_x »

I got a mate who owns an engineering firm. He shortened the short nosr water pump 15mm further for me and also sorted my pulley out for me. I'm a novice when it comes to engine work, but, no funds mean i have to have a go myself at home on the garage floor. Someone i know thought he had an SD1 front timing cover and pump for me but that hasnt worked out so im stuck now with the front cover already removed off my engine. I need to fit before i forget how i removed it.

asam_x

Post by asam_x »

Ive put some meaningless pics up to test if it will work. I'll get some pics of the crank pulley up tomorrow. I decided to paint a few things while off the engine, a little bright but different.
Attachments
IMG_20210403_190057.jpg
IMG_20210403_190157.jpg
IMG_20210330_181436.jpg

asam_x

Post by asam_x »

DaveEFI wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:18 am
ISTR from my P6 days that the dizzy drive was slightly different to the SD1. So not sure if an early dizzy will work with an SD1 front. Think you'll also need a matching water pump and fan. BTW, didn't remember they ever came with a rope seal at the front.
Sent from
Do you know anyone who may have an SD1 front timing cover for sale?

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

It's difficult to tell from the photo how the oil pump connects to the distributor.
On the SD1 electronic dizzy it there is a female slot in the gear on the dizzy and coresponding male 'tounge' on the oil pump drive. I thought P6 was the opposite way but I'm working from memories nearly 25 years old.

Just an observation. That oil filter's very short, about half as long as the one I have.

If you want to measure your cover from rear mount face to w'pump mount face I can compare to mine if that would help.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

ISTR on my P6, the oil pump drive on the dizzy was hinged on the shaft to allow some movement to line things up? But I'm talking of near 40 years ago. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

DaveEFI wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:21 pm
ISTR on my P6, the oil pump drive on the dizzy was hinged on the shaft to allow some movement to line things up? But I'm talking of near 40 years ago. :D
That was on the SD1, P6B had the bottom of the dizzy shaft driving the oil pump directly

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Trust me to get it apex over posterior. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y