Range Rover 17D - detuned?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Roverc32

Range Rover 17D - detuned?

Post by Roverc32 »

How do! I have just aquired a RR 17D ( yes has the manifold air injection ) from a very nice couple on the Wirral ( hiya Gary - if you are a visitor/member ). Anyway the lump checks out pretty well ( although i'm planning a strip down anyway ). The question is - i remember the RR v8's being lower powered - 140 bhp ish i think. How was this lower state of tune 'achieved' ? Was it carbs,exhaust, cam or all three? The 'Pulsair' is not an issue as i have some SD1 cast manifolds in my 'parts dept' :) I've decided on installing the RRv8 instead of the p5b engine for ease of use and parts but i will also rebuild the p5b lump. I fancy something out of the 'norm' for carbs - has anyone got any thoughts or what has been used before? ... John

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Range Rover 17D - detuned?

Post by ChrisJC »

There is a fourth factor!, compression ratio. This is set by the pistons, but should be stamped on the block above the engine number.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Roverc32

Post by Roverc32 »

Hi Chris - I'd already checked the compression ratio and it's 9.35 : 1. Is it likely that carb jetting or reduced choke diameter was the way that they were detuned .... i wonder..

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I think that is about the max for a carb Rangie engine. The EFi version of the same was 165BHP.

One has to assume it's a combination of cam, exhaust, ignition timing.
The EFi version had twin outlet manifolds which must have helped over the single outlet manifolds used on the carb engines.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Engines Area”