HELP - FIRST CRANK - NO OIL PRESSURE

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HELP - FIRST CRANK - NO OIL PRESSURE

Post by Coops »

one blocks off the oil hole in the engine oil gallery on the front of the block when not using the oil pick up that bolts to the block

Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

Ahh ok.....Now I do distinctly remember when I was assembling the engine I checked the oil direction on the cam chain cover. And the port you seek of that leads from the crank case to the cover is definitely blocked (i.e. as part of the casting of the front cover), so hopefully the gasket would have been the correct one, and if not, the blanked port will ensure that no air gets sucked in. Also, as part of recent checks (i.e. last weekend), I had the sump off and put my finger over the alternative oil pick up hole....there was no suction while cranking. In addition to triple check, I stuck a tube in and tried blowing...and I couldn't....So Im as confident as I can be that that other pick up hole is not sucking in air.

I have just managed to remove the pressure valve in situ, and that looks all ok.

Im waiting for an oil filter to arrive, hopefully on the weekend I can try a start having primed via the oil cooler bung. If that doesn't build pressure with 20 secs, then its back to pulling the entire oil pump backout.
Building a westfield V8

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

stevieturbo wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:16 pm
Keep it simple.

If you have a remote filter....undo the hose going into the filter ( which should feed the outside of the filter ) and spin the engine over for say 30s.

I you get no oil flow from it ( there should be a lot ), pour oil down the pipe to try and prime the pump. Then let it all soak down, and try again.

When you get oil from the pipe, refit and start the engine.

And I repeat...you're making this far more complicated than it needs to be.

Or stick a vacuum pump onto the pipe from the oil pump, or somewhere linked to the main oil galleries and operate it whilst cranking to help pull oil up through.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

stevieturbo wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:44 pm
stevieturbo wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:16 pm
Keep it simple.
And I repeat...you're making this far more complicated than it needs to be.
I agree - this thread has been going on and on - keep it simple.

Start the engine - if oil pressure comes up immediately then great - if not switch off. However before hand - fill the oil filter, fill the oil cooler, remove the oil pressure switch and fill the port with oil. Leave out the oil pressure switch and crank the engine and see if oil comes out the port. If yes put the oil pressure switch back in and start. As long as there is assembly lube or oil on the friction parts then a short start with no oil is not going to hurt.

KISS

Garry

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Out of interest,
Have had the pump apart?
If so have you got the pump gears back in the correct way round, as i think they can only go in one way for it to work???
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

Pump is all new...And when reassembling I was very careful to get it the right way, although as far as I could tell, it would still work, but maybe wear out a little quicker if it was the wrong way around.....Could be wrong on that though.

Actually, while I had the pressure valve out, it enabled me to pour some oil direct into the pressure valve cavity, and turn the engine in reverse by hand. Interestingly, nothing happened for a good half turn, then all of a sudden it really started sucking the oil through. Just need the filter, then I will try it.
Building a westfield V8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Must admit I can't think of any reason why the pump wouldn't work at lows revs. Output would obviously be low, though.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

Well...its not happening this weekend.....Got everything ready, primed the fuel system for the first time, and fuel was pi$$ out from the regulator... Also the stick on the 'expensive' site regulator melted with fuel on it......Conclusion, it was a fake item!...Bought it years ago!.

So another week to wait for new pressure regulator delivery.....
Building a westfield V8

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

stick on a site regulator ??????
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

'Sticker on the Sytec'....darn spool chocker
Building a westfield V8

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

UPDATE........

I found an old fuel pressure regulator hiding in an old fuel rail...SO threw caution to the wind and tried starting the engine. Well, the engine didn't work (need check ignition wiring).....but the Oil light went out :-) So, to conclude on all of this...the consensus was right, it feels that a). the oil pump needed back priming, and the engineering needed a fair amount of cranking to bring the pressure up.

Thanks all for the very helpful inputs / and checks / I need to get it fired up now....a few days off work this week should help :-)

P.
Building a westfield V8

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

\o/
Video the start up :)

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

:-)

Good shout....I've got a slight issue with the ECU, but that should be sorted quickly. As soon as it's done, I'll take a vid !.
Building a westfield V8

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”