Failure of stock cast 3.9/4.0 pistons at higher RPM? Or Forged options?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

turbodave

Failure of stock cast 3.9/4.0 pistons at higher RPM? Or Forged options?

Post by turbodave »

AE Hepolite
HRC1828

The "books" suggest that 6K rpm is all these are good for, with maybe an occasion blast up to 6500 rpm.
Has anyone taken these higher on more than an occasional excursion and suffered (or not) a failure?
I'm trying to decide if I should stick with them and pick a cam that starts to peter out at 6200rpm but has a strong mid-range or go forged (second half of this post).
I've got solid adjustable rockers (and would therefor use a solid, not hydraulic cam) so the only limitation will be the factory pistons.

This will be used in an endurance racing engine (literally running for 12 hours over a weekend) so I do need something that's going to work well and be reliable.

Or, do I go for forged pistons?

Maybe the Chevy 305 engine or ford modular 3.700" ?
Will the factory 3.9 liners be reliable with the 3.736" bore of the Chevy 305 pistons?
Is the shorter 1.22" compression height of the ford piston compared to the 1.56" of the 305 better or worse?

What rods could be made to work with either? I've not prioced up a set of Omega's but I have a feeling its entirely possible they are way more than I'm wanting to pay when I can get a set of the above ones for $600...

Lots of questions, looking at options and suggestions.

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Re: Failure of stock cast 3.9/4.0 pistons at higher RPM? Or Forged options?

Post by Rossco »

Hi Dave

Why not just settle with a rev limit of 6k, for the cost of forged pistons it would make any additional rpm very expensive.

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Mc Tool »

You just need talked out of forged slugs. :D They are generally heavier than cast slugs , thus placing more stress on the rods and rod bolts ,specially if you want to increase rev limit. So you'd be up for at least, a set of rod bolts and some rod work ( shot peened & polished beams ) or even a set of Carrillo/chev SB rods.
I have never been endurance racing but I would have thought that with reliability and cost in mind it would make sense to get something workable with a modest rev limit . :)
I wish I was young again , Id be heaps smarter than the first time

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

We run 6^ Scat Chevy Rods, narrowed to suit, also need to narrow Chevy bearings to suit. Keith Black Ikon forged pistons built for a stock stroke, stock bore Chevy 305. Piston is 3 thou out of the bore and is flat topped. However we run a 40 thou thick head gasket. This gives around 11-1 compression. This set up has taken a lot of abuse and stood up well.

oneaves2005

Post by oneaves2005 »

In the BCV8 championship, there is a class that uses standard pistons (and bottom end for that matter), there are around 8-9 cars revving to 6500+, no piston failures that I can remember in the last 6-7 years I have been involved. The cars have around 230bhp, with a mild camashaft and intake and exhaust mods only.

Return to “Engines Area”