Thor conversion

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

paulsv8manta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Thor conversion

Post by paulsv8manta »

Hi guys I’m currently working on converting my 3.5 efi over to ms3 with a Thor inlet plenum conversion. My question is this, there is a small water outlet barb fitting next to the water temperature sensor at the front of the Thor unit which is plumb to heat the underside of throttle body. I have no idea where it goes to after this point, Would it be ok to blank /cap it off at the manifold point?
Cheers

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: Thor conversion

Post by garrycol »

I assume you mean this barb in the centre upper of this pic

Image081

On my old 3.5 manifold there was a similar barb that was connected via a small rubber pipe to a similar barb in the top radiator tank - I assume to allow air to escape the manifold.

When I put my Thor manifold on the engine (as per the pic) I decided that heating the throttle body was really not needed so I did the same with the barb as was fitted to the 3.5 manifold - I ran a rubber hose from that barb to the barb on the radiator.

But to answer you question specifically - I cannot see any reason why it cannot be blanked off if you dont want to use it to heat the throttle body.

Garry

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

It runs from the throttle body back to the header tank.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

paulsv8manta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulsv8manta »

Thanks guys much appreciated. So Gary I presume you’ve already done this conversion any pointers?

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

Yes and no - with no local support MS3 is too much hassle - the documentation is crap and the forum is not the greatest so I am back on carbs at the moment and will buy an off the shelf ECU and then put the Thor back on.

Garry

paulsv8manta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulsv8manta »

Oh great! :roll: Looks like I’m in for some fun then.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

You could just run Thor standalone with a mapped ECU from Mark Adams. The wiring isn't straightforward, but it's the easiest way IMHO.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Since the Thor uses Motronic, I'd say the simplest way would be get the Motronic modified to run stand alone. Although I've never had this done, and only heard of it. Assuming a standard engine. Once you start mixing and matching RV8 bits, all bets are off.

I really don't agree with Garycol. I'm an amateur, and started out with a clean sheet with MS. And didn't have too much trouble learning it. And found the MS forum great for the few things I needed help with. But you do need to spend some time studying the manual. If you aren't willing to do that you'd be better paying a lot extra for a Link or Emerald etc. But you could have the same problem finding a local installer who is decent at it, as you would with MS.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

ChrisJC wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:26 pm
You could just run Thor standalone with a mapped ECU from Mark Adams. The wiring isn't straightforward, but it's the easiest way IMHO.

Chris.
From what I've seen, wiring seems to be the thing most find the difficult bit to do well. At one time it would have been coping with the software. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

paulsv8manta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulsv8manta »

ChrisJC wrote:

Chris.
Hi Chris, funnily I have a Mark Addams ECU collecting dust I believe it was from a TVR. I must get round to selling it off.

paulsv8manta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulsv8manta »

DaveEFI wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:21 am
ChrisJC wrote:

Chris.
From what I've seen, wiring seems to be the thing most find the difficult bit to do well. At one time it would have been coping with the software. :D
Hi Dave,
The good thing is Phil at Extraefi can supply me with a all made up bespoke loom. Couldn’t be simpler 😉👍

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

DaveEFI wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:21 am
ChrisJC wrote:

Chris.
Once I'd got mine sorted (with help from Mark), I drew up a circuit diagram which I gave Mark. Hopefully it should be easier for others now!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”