How much oil at startup? Rockers seem dry

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Dubblydub

How much oil at startup? Rockers seem dry

Post by Dubblydub »

Hey all,

Wondering how much oil you’d expect flowing through the rockers shortly after a startup?

Car has been sat for a long time, I acquired it and have put later heads on with associated rocker gear.

Some people say there should be loads spraying around but is that after it’s warmed up? Or would you expect it from initial start? I did oil prime by drill down the dizzy, and oil did spurt out the sender socket when I removed it, so I’m thinking there is at least some pressure.

Gauges seemed to be gone, well the senders at least, oil does ooze into the rocker if I remove the post, but doesn’t seem to get much, if any flow down the shaft or rods.

Wondering if I’m being too pedantic and need to let her warm up?

There’s a grinding sound, that has me nervous and being a newbie hobbiest mechanic am struggling for confidence!

It’s a 10.5 comp P6 3500 pre76

Dubblydub

Re: How much oil at startup? Rockers seem dry

Post by Dubblydub »

:whs Oh the other thing, rocker assembly.

With the oil passage facing down and towards the centre of the block, the rocker has an oil passage drilled in, but it doesn’t appear these would ever actually align? Looks like the passage on the shaft is 1cm further across.

Essentially the oil passage in the first rocker (front of engine) is on the inside, maybe 5mm from the bracket post. I just can’t see how it would get the oil through, unless the pressure of the oil passage in the shaft and rocker is engineered to increase pressure and squeeze the oil?

Thoughts?

Added a picture of the assembled rockers with rocker one removed. Added a second picture that shows you how far out the rocker would need to be to align to the oil passage. I tested this by blowing the rocker cap and you get air flow out the post. Any other position it feels as if it’s blocked.
Attachments
7CFAC5E0-8545-49D1-8166-5E5263DC1210.jpeg
5A887914-C012-4A46-B59E-D7113A52967C.jpeg

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I'd want a working oil pressure light before I even attempted a start. And make sure that goes out just by cranking the engine, with the plugs out.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Put your oil sender back in
Remove the rocker cover
And use the tool and drill till you see oil come out the rockers

It should then be fully primed.

I would then do a start. But yes I agree at least an idiot oil warning light is a must!

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Dubblydub

Post by Dubblydub »

I’ve got an external gauge which I’ll use to test pressure.

Electric’s were in a mess, no gauges work, I’ve tested the gauges without the senders and all give good signs they work. So I’m believing the senders are all naffed, which is pretty unlucky...

Wondering what happened to cause all that. I’ve drill primed but I don’t get oil out the top of the rockers, maybe a dribble. If I loosen the posts and start her up they spew load into the heads but once tightened nothing noticeable coming through.

Checked and rechecked the assembly and seems to meet all the instructions I’ve found. See pictures.

I’m nervous that a) the rockers are suppose align to the shaft oil passage or b) pressure is too low to force it through.

Dubblydub

Post by Dubblydub »

Think it’s bad news people, had the plugs out, had her turning over, took a while but got about 5PSI.

Tried a second time and got about 2 PSI

Tried a few more but got nothing, used a booster pack in case it was just the battery running out or juice, made no difference.

Have a bad feeling it’s got bigger problems. Even on turn over she doesn’t sound ‘free’ maybe because lack of oil? Don’t know but think I’m on the market for a new engine, can strip this down another day.

Hear the pressure valves often stick, but that could be another false errand and even then I fear there might be other damage internally. Balls

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

First thing I'd do - since it costs near nothing - is prime the pump. Take it off and pack it with Vaseline. I'm not convinced a dry pump will ever prime, regardless of how fast it is turned.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Or add another 2 to3 litres of oil into the sump until level is higher than oil pump

Then spin engine over as pump will self fill. You should then get oil through the whole lot.
Or if you have the tool spin it up in the drill you will feel huge pressure on the drill when it primes and fills the galleries!
Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Mc Tool »

Don't mean to imply anything :P but I once watched a guy struggling to prime an oil pump for ages .....with a battery drill....turning the wrong way.......jus sayin :D
I wish I was young again , Id be heaps smarter than the first time

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I've just done this after having the timing chain cover off. Did pack the pump with vaseline having had it apart to clean and check it. Cranking over (injection disabled so it wouldn't start, but plugs still in) and the pressure light wouldn't go out. Took the dumpy dizzy out and spun it clockwise with a cordless drill. Was surprised how much resistance there was. And a helper said the light went out.
Last time I did it, I took the plugs out, and with the standard starter motor. I now have a hi-torque geared type. Perhaps the combination of plugs in and a different cranking speed couldn't quite get the pressure up enough to put out the light?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Engines Area”