3.5 Engine rebuild

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Aaron_

3.5 Engine rebuild

Post by Aaron_ »

Hello everyone!

I'm finishing my complete 3.5 rebuild.

So couple of questions, has anyone more tips & tricks and do and don'ts. before I tottaly mess up :D

Tommorow I will adjust the tappet preload, and will also fill the oilpump with grease.

I will problably use the valvoline vr1 20W50 oil. Should I also use this oil for running in the engine?
More tips on first start and running in?

I'll post some pictures when I figure out how to do so :)

Thanks in advance,

Greetings Aaron

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 3.5 Engine rebuild

Post by DaveEFI »

The BL manual says Vaseline rather than grease for the oil pump. I suppose it might dissolve in oil rather more easily?
I'd also turn it over on the starter (plugs out) until the oil pressure light goes out.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

DaveEFI wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:43 am
The BL manual says Vaseline rather than grease for the oil pump. I suppose it might dissolve in oil rather more easily?
I'd also turn it over on the starter (plugs out) until the oil pressure light goes out.
+1 for Vaseline (if you can spare some)it is petroleum jelly and so disolves in the oil, don't know where grease would end up.

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Mc Tool »

And lashings of bacon
I wish I was young again , Id be heaps smarter than the first time

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

Where are you? If you're close to Harpenden I can lend you the tool to spin the pump using an electric drill.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I've always primed the oil by pulling the distributor and spinning the pump drive with a long bolt with a slot ground in the head.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Aaron_

Post by Aaron_ »

Thanks for the tips guys!

Currently adjusting the tappet preload :)

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

ChrisJC wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:49 pm
I've always primed the oil by pulling the distributor and spinning the pump drive with a long bolt with a slot ground in the head.

Chris.
That's pretty much what the "special tool" is. Even with that though I've never been able to prime the pump without first packing with Vaseline, possibly my remote filter does not help.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

A remote filter is handy because you can pour oil down the hoses to fill the pump before trying to prime it.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaxLaxV8

Post by DaxLaxV8 »

The remove the dizzy and prime the oil pump with an electric drill is a MUST! Put the ignition on and wait for the orange light to go off as you spin up the pump. Take it from some one who knows the cost of that pump not priming quickly!
You can use a 12mm socket and a long socket extension.
Did you check that the pressure relief piston in the pump moves freely. They are renown for picking up.

If the engine doesn't start quickly it is likely the distributor is 180 degrees out. Remove it and move the pick up arm half a turn. Try again.

These engines are known for airlocks. Switch the internal heater on full blast. Start up with the radiator or expansion tank cap off and wait for all the air bubbles to stop. Put the cap back on and rev the engine.

Also, run the engine at 2500 rpm four times for 5 minutes each. Avoid tickover during this initial phase! Then drive car to put load on the engine to bed the pistons; all as recommended by professional engine builders.

If in doubt, switch it off!

Good luck!

Aaron_

Post by Aaron_ »

DaxLaxV8 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:02 pm
The remove the dizzy and prime the oil pump with an electric drill is a MUST! Put the ignition on and wait for the orange light to go off as you spin up the pump. Take it from some one who knows the cost of that pump not priming quickly!
You can use a 12mm socket and a long socket extension.
Did you check that the pressure relief piston in the pump moves freely. They are renown for picking up.

If the engine doesn't start quickly it is likely the distributor is 180 degrees out. Remove it and move the pick up arm half a turn. Try again.

These engines are known for airlocks. Switch the internal heater on full blast. Start up with the radiator or expansion tank cap off and wait for all the air bubbles to stop. Put the cap back on and rev the engine.

Also, run the engine at 2500 rpm four times for 5 minutes each. Avoid tickover during this initial phase! Then drive car to put load on the engine to bed the pistons; all as recommended by professional engine builders.

If in doubt, switch it off!

Good luck!
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
If everything goes as planned, the first start up will be this weekend

DaxLaxV8

Post by DaxLaxV8 »

Aaron
How did the start up go?
Carl

Return to “Engines Area”