General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyone got a V8 to donate to charity?

Post by scudderfish »

And I don't mean me :)

I'm an instructor with the Under 17 Car Club (https://under17-carclub.co.uk/), a registered charity set up to teach children how to drive safely before they reach 17. Part of that is the basic mechanics of how cars work. I'd like to have an engine I could turn over and strip down in front of them to show 'suck/squeeze/bang/blow' and give them an idea of what's going on under the bonnet. A V8 is ideal as I can take one head off to show the pistons whilst the valve gear still operates on the other bank. However I don't have a spare to sacrifice to this worthy cause. Has anyone got an old engine getting in the way?

Regards,
David

jikovron

Re: Anyone got a V8 to donate to charity?

Post by jikovron »

Just a thought on this if a v8 doesn't show up imo a side valve lawnmower engine is perfect for this as the valves are on show synchronised with the corresponding piston , obviously not as complex but contemporary add on subjects like gasoline direct injection, miller cycle and other recent developments are easily explained in reference to the old 4 stroke cycle HTH

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

Thanks for the idea. It'd certainly be easier to transport to venues :) I'd really like a car engine though so that it is more relatable to what they see under the bonnet.

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Mc Tool »

There are heaps of animated videos on the net ,you could then cover all the different types...rotary, reciprocating and these new variable stroke ,variable cam timing/lift. Having said that there is no real substitute for actually being able to have a look with your fingers , .....just like Mum told you not to :lol:
I wish I was young again , Id be heaps smarter than the first time

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

The aim is to get them away from computers :)

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

How about a VW beetle aircooled one?
Simplicity itself, and light to move around

Can also leave one head on and one off!

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Contact your local flying club and ask them who rebuilds their piston engines.
They should have loads of out of tolerance bits lying around that they may be willing to donate/sell for scrap value.
Cheers,
John

Return to “Engines Area”