Drill Bit Sharpener

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Drill Bit Sharpener

Post by richardpope50 »

As title. Any recomendations?

I've got a hand held one and a cam type that fits a drill for power and both, quite framkly useless.

The big ones all seem equal to the cam type ones I have albeit in one unit so not sure how good they really are. Drill Doctor 750X seems a good one but at the end of the bday is still a cam type device like my drill based one.

I've sharpened a couple of 13mm drills by eye on a bench grinder with surprising results - luck?

I also want to go up to 13mm / 1/2".

I want a good one that works as well!

Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Drill Bit Sharpener

Post by JSF55 »

The same question was asked here, I've always done mine by hand with some degree of success
https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/thr ... tem.90499/
So thats where it went !

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Used to have one made of plastic that held a drill in place and then you rolled it back and forward over sandpaper. It had offset wheels that made it get the right angles. Then stop rotate and do the other side.
Loved it but sort in a move.

Was brilliant and consistent

I cannot even find a picture of one on google

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

A mate of mine is an aircraft sheetmetal/structures mechanic and he has a dedicated grinder with a stop to set the corrcet point angle, and then he does the land clearances by hand. Most of his stuff is 3/32'' to 3/8'' maximum.
Cheers,
John

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Something I'd like too. Have found the all in one type can work OK on larger drills - but still need skill, but useless on small drills. And of course larger drills are the easiest to do on a bench grinder.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Ian Anderson wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:58 pm
Was brilliant and consistent
I afraid that is the one I find useless as well as a plastic housing and a cam mechanism one.

Agree with Dave too.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

JSF55 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:44 pm
The same question was asked here, I've always done mine by hand with some degree of success
https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/thr ... tem.90499/
So it seems the Drill Doctor 750X is the one to get albeit very expensive. At about £20 per set of new bits, it is still worth paying for a Drill Doctor instead of buying new sets each time.
Richard.

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by Rossco »

It's a Drill Doctor that's sat on my workbench.

Return to “General Chat Area”