Rover V8 composite inlet manifold gasket.

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

jenand40
Getting There
Getting There

Rover V8 composite inlet manifold gasket.

Post by jenand40 »

I have just replaced the inlet manifold gasket, it was grey in colour rather than the usual black.
When the engine started I initially thought I had an oil leak as the grey gasket had black spots appearing on it. Investigation has shown that there is no leak, it appears that the gasket is changing colour as the oil in the valley splashes up against it. Is this normal? Has anyone else noticed this?

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Rover V8 composite inlet manifold gasket.

Post by ChrisJC »

Never seen that!
I thought the gasket was a metal sheet with a softer material on each side. So there is no way that oil should be able to get through it!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

jenand40
Getting There
Getting There

Post by jenand40 »

Update: Forgot I had posted this question, so I thought i had better post an update in case anyone else comes across a grey gasket. Engine has not been run since my original question date but the gasket is now black all over, with no sign of any oil leaking.
Strange.

jenand40
Getting There
Getting There

Post by jenand40 »

Update 2.
Now the engine has had more use, I have oil collecting at the back of the inlet manifold, appears to be seeping through the gasket. Looked back at the purchase details and I thought it was a composite gasket but appears to be “Fibre faced with a steel core sponge coated”. Cannot see how it can be seeping through the steel core though, but cannot see where else it could be coming from, I will replace it with the correct composite one when I can. I will not be buying a grey coloured gasket again.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Oil tends to collect at the back of the manifold - even when coming from the rocker covers, etc.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Engines Area”