TVR 5-litre engine balance

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

TVR 5-litre engine balance

Post by minorv8 »

A quick question: does anyone know whether the TVR 5-litre engine with small main bearings is internally or externally balanced from the factory. My crank is now being balanced and it needs 75 grams removed from the front and 200 grams added to the rear. Pistons and rods are 500 specific parts. All parts are new.

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: TVR 5-litre engine balance

Post by r2d2hp »

Have you tried speaking to Dom @ http://www.powersperformance.co.uk/

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

My TVR 5.0 was externally balanced and had a bespoke weighted front pulley and weighted flywheel. I wanted to use an unweighted standard Rover pulley and flywheel so I had it internally balanced and had some heavy metal added to the counterweights. I mainly had it rebalanced as I was fitting forged pistons of a different weight.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

Yes, I got a reply from Dom that he balances these cranks with a front pulley and flywheel.

I am trying to do zero internal balance (what Devonman described), but in my case even the heavy metal may not help due to the amount and where it needs to be. So, let´s see what happens :D

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

He probably means that he needs the pulley and flywheel (and clutch cover) to do the balancing. These can be non weighted Rover items. Real steel did mine and needed everything including pistons rods etc even big end shells.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Return to “Engines Area”