14CUX ECU help

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

durhamsmudger

14CUX ECU help

Post by durhamsmudger »

I have a problem with my Morgan ECU, can anyone on this forum recommend a good reasonably priced company that can test & repair
Cheers

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

Mark Adams / Tornado Systems is the guru with these..see their Facebook page

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 14CUX ECU help

Post by DaveEFI »

durhamsmudger wrote:I have a problem with my Morgan ECU, can anyone on this forum recommend a good reasonably priced company that can test & repair
Cheers
Do double check it isn't a problem with a sensor or the wiring. Perhaps if you gave the symptoms?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

I would first try resetting it
Simple, disconnect the battery for 30 seconds.
It will clear the fault codes and fire up again.

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

durhamsmudger

Post by durhamsmudger »

This is on a '99 Morgan 3.9, with the same type of ECU fitted to the TVRs of the era
Ok a brief history
About 6 months ago I started having intermittent problems with the fuel pump not starting,there is nothing wrong with the pump
The green immobiliser box is communicating to the ECU OK
The spider unit is wired out
the inertia switch , main relay and fuel pump relay have been replaced
all the earths from the ECU are fine
The wire from -ve side of the fuel pump relay coil which returns to the ECU has voltage, but the relay isn't pulling in because whatever it is in the ECU that controls the operation of the fuel pump isn't allowing the the relay coil -ve to go to earth.

I am hoping it's something simple like a dry soldered joint, what makes me think this, is it started off as an intermittent problem, then because circumstances meant I couldn't use the car for about 6 weeks - then when I went to start it nothing ! I have redone all the checks but the pump wouldn't start
the pins and plug show no signs of corrosion

That is why I want it testing & repaired

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Isn't there a switch that is oil pressure related in that system? Maybe that is starting to go bad on you and causing the issue?
Cheers,
John

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Keep your eye on E bay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TVR-4-0-L-Ca ... SwskFZg0uJ

This one is a bit pricy, and I have seen them at £50

If you can wait till around Christmas I can dig my spare out the garage and let you try a different box.
I work in Edinburgh and the car and bits are in Surrey so a bit difficult to do it before then!

Cheers
Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

A define fault like that would be at the easier end of repairing. The snag being with all intermittent faults is having it show up on test.

If you can't find a firm to to a warranted repair, I'd certainly have a look at it. Although I'm more familiar with the older 4CU.
Are they that expensive to buy used?

There will generally be a circuit that drives the pump relay. That controlled by a signal from the processor itself. If the fault is in that driver, likely an easy fix. If the fault is within the processor, not.

Oddly, pump relay driver failure is perhaps the most common fault I've fixed on Megasquirt.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

There is a black wire that follows the inlet hose from the plenum to the air flow meter

If that comes free the pumps do not run, we'll certainly did not run on mine!

Ian

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Just jumping in on the act.

I have a spare 14CUX ECU. It came off my 1997 Griffith donor engine that had done 41k miles. Used on my Dax Rush for a week or so and then I switched to MegaSquirt.

PM me if interested.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

It would make sense to try a known good one before spending money having one tested/fixed. As that would eliminate other causes.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

Did this get sorted out?

durhamsmudger

Post by durhamsmudger »

Yes, I sent the ECU away to Mark Adams, unfortunately the tests proved there was nothing wrong with the ECU-which was bad news, I did however use the opportunity to upgrade the chip from an Optimax to a Tornado, so then it was back to multi meter fault testing.

I finally traced a cable fault to the wire from. The Fuel pump relay to the Fuel Pump Fuse, this wire disappeared into the main loom so I just ran a jumper wire in and everything has been hunky dory since.

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

durhamsmudger wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:28 pm
Yes, I sent the ECU away to Mark Adams, unfortunately the tests proved there was nothing wrong with the ECU-which was bad news, I did however use the opportunity to upgrade the chip from an Optimax to a Tornado, so then it was back to multi meter fault testing.

I finally traced a cable fault to the wire from. The Fuel pump relay to the Fuel Pump Fuse, this wire disappeared into the main loom so I just ran a jumper wire in and everything has been hunky dory since.
Thanks for closing the loop.

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”