A spray job

General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mike-b
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

A spray job

Post by mike-b »

I am about to start sorting my boot lid - it needs a respray.
I intend to go back to bare metal and start there. the problem now is the use of aerosols from (say) Halfords.
The colour is Ford Paris Blue a light metallic so a gray primer is required - yes?
Am I right in thinking a etch primer will be required first assuming the bare metal is grease/oil free and smooth followed by gray primer?

Better still what would be the best way of going about this job, I have used aerosols in the past with some decent results but I have never gone this far before. The weather seems to be on my side so now would be a good time to get on with it.

Is it a fact that you should not lacquer metallic paint or is that bull?

Many thanks, mike

Mike B Drives a 1984 Mk2 Granada ghia V8.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: A spray job

Post by DaveEFI »

Very best of luck getting a good match with metallic just doing one entire panel. Pros didn't manage it with my car.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

mike-b
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: A spray job

Post by mike-b »

Dave, Thanks for the reply.
The aerosol can states its a metallic paint though I would say it is far from the best out there. However, I have had pleasing results in the past though I was spaying on top of an already same colour coat.
The use of aerosols and the amount needed will require an order from the same batch, two cans give me just one coat on my boot lid and I would prefer three colour coats or more.
To be right I have to get to bare metal and start again, thankfully though I have not got a rust problem to worry about.
The sequence being - as far as I know - bare metal and smooth, etch primer, gray primer (blue paint) then the colour coats - lightly sanding down between coats. Most of all though I am told is take your time and let it all settle before continuing. The final result is bound to be better than the mess I already have.
Reards, Mike
Mike B Drives a 1984 Mk2 Granada ghia V8.

Return to “Body & Strengthening”