harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: what waterpump is this

Post by harvey »

DaveEFI wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:14 pm
Wonder what the RV6 racing unit used?
That's a thought! While we're at it with the real rare ones, how about the Iceberg, what did that have? Now that would be a rare one!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Was sort of thinking the RV6 would need to be compact. With many other installations, space isn't a problem.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

DaveEFI wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:42 pm
Was sort of thinking the RV6 would need to be compact. With many other installations, space isn't a problem.
Fair comment.

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

russell_ram wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:36 am
If you want to run the pump faster why not just have a smaller diameter pulley machined up for the P6 one you have? From memory the standard P6 pulley is about 8 or 9 inches diameter - that pump flange has plenty of scope to accommodate a smaller pulley.
Cause there's a GT40 bulkhead in the way which I don't want to cut. I don't want a waterpump pulley as an arm rest....
russell_ram wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:36 am
You'd need to line up the pulley on the other pump anyway as whatever the std pulley is for that is unlikely to line up with a P6 crank and alternator pulleys.
The old pump & pulley combo does line up. Old pump has been sitting dry for years and I like to replace it with something fresh before the engine gets back in. ( still waiting on the tranny to get back, updated to 450bhp Citroen C35 transaxle )
GT40 is not realy as roomy as my RV8 Ford Capri to replace a waterpump afterwarts if needed.

More pics.

If the only route to go is to use the P6 pump, then I need a P6 pulley as I don't have one. I am not going to invent the wheel again so then I just modify the bulkhead and run the pump a tad slower.
Somebody overhere just might have one for me.
As I remember, in the old Real Steel catalogues they had a very short version of the RV8 pump, not the one (Buick) they list now.
I already contacted them but still had no reply.
I am going to Dragstalgia ( & Silverstone Classic ) next week so I might hop in at Real Steel on my way to Santapod.
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

This company will overhaul your pump:

http://www.ep-services.co.uk/

Problem solved.

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

Any one experiance with this shop before I ship it to the UK??
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

JP. wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:24 pm
Any one experiance with this shop before I ship it to the UK??
My mate had a waterpump leaking on an oddball engined 1950s Ford van for which he couldn't get a pump anywhere, so he sent the pump off to that company and it was done and back to him in just over a week, and it cost him somewhere around £100 IIRC. We fitted it and it must have been on the van for a couple of years now without any problems. I have heard good reports from other people who have used them as well, but obviously you have to make your own decisions. I don't recommend companies unless I have good experience with them personally, but why not give them a call yourself to see how you feel about it after chatting to them.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Welcome to the wonderful world of GT40s

I have a p6 pump on mine with a bodged pulley so pump runs faster.

But nobody can see it cause it is so close to the bulkhead.
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Oh
Make sure your engine is as low as it can go as the slope on the firewall means more space the lower you get it!

And then get out a hammer and beat the sh1t out of a piece of aluminium that fills the firewall inspection panel to get that extra half inch of clearance needed to clear the nose of the pump.

Or gut the pump, and weld up the hole
Then add a Davis Craig or similar electric water pump!

Oh and the yank side of the pond sells an electric pump that bolts up where the original sits

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

The V6 Buick engines use a pump with the same pattern as the Rover, maybe it's one of them?
Cheers,
John

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

It is from a Rover 3500S V8 P6.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

ChrisJC wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:37 pm
It is from a Rover 3500S V8 P6.

Chris.
Do you mean the NADA 3500S?

If so, it isn't.

NADA waterpump:

And if you mean the 3500S manual P6 then that's the same as the auto.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Interesting. Perhaps they used the same casting for multiple applications then....!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

harvey wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:48 pm
This company will overhaul your pump:

http://www.ep-services.co.uk/

Problem solved.
I will vissit them comming up monday as I am over from Holland for a short break to vissit Dragstalgia & Silverstone Classic ( Retro Run) with a Ford Capri.
Its about a 1½ hour drive from the campsite I am staying ( Banbury somewhere, not sure where at the moment) so lets hope they can sort it out.
I just have sent them a mail I am comming with it.
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

Been there today. They overhauled the pump within two hours. It should have uprated bearings and uprated seal now as they say.

A bit unexpected but they don't santblast it, they just spray some silver rattlecan paint over the unprepped surface inside and out. Well that won't last long ill guess. I can just peal it off with my fingers.

Price was fair. £60,- including a new gasket.

Its a modifiet pump (shortened) with a pressed on Ford flange and pulley as they told me. Just standard of the shelf parts.
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

Return to “Cooling Area”