My Supercharged V8 Capri Conversion

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Supercharged V8 Capri Conversion

Post by Coops »

what electrical plug do i need to use the o/e stepper on the 4.6 plenum?

Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

They are Delphi connectors, used on loads of GM cars.
Mine is flat 4 pin, but they also do a square 4 pin.
The same fundamental stepper motor is used on lots of different engines, with maybe different wiring configurations so if you have freedom over your control/wiring/programming using a standalone ECU then you can probably use an IAC of a different engine - i.e. much cheaper than buying one listed for the Rangerover!
I think mine was off a pug/citroen 2.0L 16v engine for example - same basic valve.

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

does this look like the correct connector mate?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Delp ... 1438.l2649
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

No,

This one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Idle-Air-Contr ... 2632532727
or
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Idle-Air-Contr ... hg&vxp=mtr

If you search for: GM IAC Connector you should find one:

Tom.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Do you know if these are available in the UK?
As only found USA sellers so far
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Looks similar to the SuperSeal range which Vehicle Wiring Products etc sell.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

RS have them:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/automoti ... s/8011027/

or
Same connector I believe as Pug/Citroen 2.0 16v IAC.

Tom.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Well we finally have started to get everything together for the new charger to go on,

Procharger D1SC Supercharger and bracket (made by v8 performance parts)
charger1.jpg
charger2.jpg
charger3.jpg
charger4.jpg
Procharger v Rotrex
charger5.jpg
charger6.jpg
dual PLX wideband controllers to replace the troublesome Innovate set up im currently running
plx1.jpg
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

It'll be a pretty huge step up in size from the Rotrex, D1 is a decent sized blower.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

stevieturbo wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:04 pm
It'll be a pretty huge step up in size from the Rotrex, D1 is a decent sized blower.
its going to be a rather interesting learning curve I recon mate just got use to the rotrex lol
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Are you opening it up to clock the oil slinger to 6:00 o'clock?
Would be interesting to see a photo of the internals and the bearing numbers off the high speed bearings?
When my Procharger failed I noted the bearings where nothing special and rated to 20000 rpm max but the max rpm in the spec sheet was 80000! - which is what I had geared to meet at my max engine rpm.

Tom.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

SuperV8 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:25 am
Would be interesting to see a photo of the internals and the bearing numbers off the high speed bearings?
When my Procharger failed I noted the bearings where nothing special and rated to 20000 rpm max but the max rpm in the spec sheet was 80000! - which is what I had geared to meet at my max engine rpm.

Tom.
The bearings in my Vortech were branded Vortech...which made sourcing difficult. I ended up replacing them with Nachi precision units, although I only needed to replace the low speed side.
But for the high speed, I simply could not find any bearings anywhere rated to the speeds required, so I just presume they all overspin them

Years later I did find some bearings that might be suitable...in catalogues anyway, never was able to actually get hold of any, and prices quoted were astronomical.
There are some places selling what they claim are the correct bearings, but they tend to grind part numbers off so you cant see them. Although I believe Vortech themselves do now just use Nachi branded bearings.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

stevieturbo wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:48 pm
SuperV8 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:25 am

Tom.
The bearings in my Vortech were branded Vortech...which made sourcing difficult. I ended up replacing them with Nachi precision units, although I only needed to replace the low speed side.
But for the high speed, I simply could not find any bearings anywhere rated to the speeds required, so I just presume they all overspin them

Years later I did find some bearings that might be suitable...in catalogues anyway, never was able to actually get hold of any, and prices quoted were astronomical.
There are some places selling what they claim are the correct bearings, but they tend to grind part numbers off so you cant see them. Although I believe Vortech themselves do now just use Nachi branded bearings.
Yes I found the same a few years back when rebuilding my Procharger C1, SKF etc.. had catalogs which had bearing numbers in which where capable of 80000+ rpm but I couldn't actually buy any. In the end I found some Barden bearings which I had to get from the states which where spec'd of more than 80K, I think something like 100K - they where around £100 each for small bearings! but they do feel so lovely and smooth in the hand, they had ceramic balls.
Obviously not all centrifugal superchargers are having their bearings fail so yes they much just be running them way about their rated max rpm's and keeping their fingers crossed.
I would just be stay well away of the max rpm quoted for centrifugal superchargers and fit a larger diameter compressor and run it at a lower speed rather than fitting a smaller one and running it at/near its max rpm.

Tom.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I oversped mine !

Never had an issue because of it though.

Only actual failure I had was my own fault, for overtightening the belt way too much. Although that was during warranty period and they did honour it.

But a few times over the years the bearings did get a little noisy so I would just replace them, but the actual high speed side were always ok.

the low speed bearings were never an issue and due to step up, would only need to deal with around 20k or so. Prochargers would be even less as they use a higher internal step up.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Have now binned the innovate and gone to PLX controllers and intelligent gauges.
20181104_110809.jpg
20181104_123155.jpg
System test

First fire up and check

Warm up
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

Return to “Your Garage Scene”