T5 Cossie box in my Dax.

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Dixie6789
Gold Member
Gold Member

T5 Cossie box in my Dax.

Post by Dixie6789 »

Afternoon.

I have just finished the install of my T5.

It's a new refurb and was dry until I filled up with Dex 3.

I notice there is a distinctive whine in 2nd and 3rd. Have not got into 4th yet as only a quick drive up my estate.

I am being told this isn't unusual for a new/cold box.

What do you guys think?

Thanks Mark

Mark

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Rather depends what the re-furb consisted of. To get a box as good as new noise wise can mean replacing all the moving parts, as gears etc tend to bed in to one another. Mixing some new - or perhaps some good used bits - can result in more noise. Even just fitting new bearings can alter the gear mesh slightly and increase noise. But a slightly noisy box can be perfectly sound.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

First question
Did you fill it with oil and is the oil the correct spec?

Don't ask me how I know!

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Dixie6789
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dixie6789 »

Yes filled with Castrol DEX 3.Took about 2.5ltrs until it flowed out the bung.

But was completely dry until I did. So. Perhaps it needs to run in a bit. As I said only went about 500 yards.
Mark

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

My T5 spec is Gearbox oil Mobil SHC ATF or Dexron III ATF and oil capacity = 2.55 litres so would seem to be correct.

My T5 box does not wine but then it has never been touched and done about 45k miles. However my (completely refurbished) diff with new crown wheel and Quaif LSD does wine a lot on overrun, not under power but I think the wine is reducing after about 4k miles. I would tend to think it is just whilst running in. Hope so anyway.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

Dixie6789
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: T5 Cossie box in my Dax.

Post by Dixie6789 »

I have done a bit of studying and YouTube is your friend.
Also purchased Paul Cangialosi book on high performance Manual transmissions.
I also managed to message him via his FB page. Because the noise is in the first 3 gears, he has suggested that it is the input and countershaft gears, probably not bearings. But he supplies a repair kit which has everything in one box.

All a bit depressing really. It's gunna cost about $400 to get the bits sent over from the States.

Is there anywhere in the UK that is good. It seems that the standard of suppliers is vast, so a recommended supplier is the way to go. Any ideas?

Thanks Mark.
Mark

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Just commenting that there could well be import duty on those imported parts too as USA suppliers usually only quote carriage. Good luck.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Before pulling things apart I would check that the box is not touching the tunnel.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

My brand new factory mustang T5 box started to whine, we have had to strip it down and re shim it and put in one new bearing, if you look at youtube Paul C, when he strips a brand new T5 down his one has too much play on the layshaft ! I purchased a steel layshaft plate off Paul , if you get it through his Ebay page the postage is a lot less.

Dixie6789
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dixie6789 »

Thanks for the info.
I brought Paul C's book and have studied his YouTube page. I am also in contact with him via Facebook messenger. He is trying to find me a 23 spline input shaft. I may have to accept a 10 or 26 spline and get a new friction plate. The counter gear is easy to get.
Box wasn't touching the tunnel.
Box is now in bits, all the gears seem OK and rotate freely and sync ringd fit well and seem to have new liners. The other bearings will be replaced and re shimmed using Paul's kit, or Timken bearings that I can get in the UK.

Are the customs charges a % or a set fee?

I am also in contact with Bob at Hanlon motorsports. He is also looking for a 23 spline input shaft but tells me it's going to be hard, so 10 or 26 spline is probably the way I will need to go. I have asked RPI if they can supply this friction plate. Not heard back yet.

Do you know what Paul C's Ebay page is please?

Thanks Mark.
Mark

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Yes, Cossie input shafts are hard to find. However beware, the 26 spline GM shafts are I believe slightly shorter. The 10 spline USA ford shaft has a bigger nose so the spigot bush in the crank will need to be enlarges to 17mm dia.
Are you saying that your current input shaft is damaged? If so the nose of the main shaft may also be iffy. There is info out there showing a conversion of the input shaft for a taper pocket bearing but I've not found anyone who can machine the pocket to receive the taper bearing runner.
I have seen 9.5" plates that has 10 splines on ebay. I haven't looked recently though.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

I don't know if you have read in another thread on here but if you are using a 9.5 in clutch the 10 spline one you need is CP AP 2346-70 thanks to Mike B for info. you use the std SD1 pressure plate and AP say its good for 300 hp, that's if you have to go that route.

Dixie6789
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dixie6789 »

Thanks for this.
I have got all the bits from Hanlon.
I have gone the 10 spline route and Bob is turning down the nose to15mm to fit the existing spigot bearing. He is also supplying the clutch friction plate to match.
The input shaft was 9 1/4 inch long which fitted perfectly with the damaged 23 spline one.

I have got the fully inclusive repair kit. And the counter gear bearing support brace.

The pressure plate is a HD item from Jim at JRV8.

Just got to wait now for a couple of weeks for delivery.

Mark.
Mark

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Hopefully the input shaft is a 24 tooth one. Some are 23 tooth!!!

Dixie6789
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dixie6789 »

He is supplying the countershaft as well, so I guess he will make sure of that?
But I will email him just to be sure. Thanks for the advice. Off into the garage to check.

Thanks Mark
Mark

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”