General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Epoxy Primer + Chassis Black

Post by ChrisJC »

Afternoon all,
I have a bunch of metal parts that I have had sandblasted and primed with a 'holding coat', which is an Epoxy Primer as far as I can tell.

I have sprayed some of them with Chassis Black from Frosts (thinned a bit with white spirit).
http://www.frost.co.uk/frost-chassis-bl ... wwodphsDDw

I am not convinced about the adhesion, although it is early days!

Should it be OK?

Thanks,

Chris.

--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

My only comment is that I used POR 15 followed by POR 15's Chassis Black as a top coat and it is 100% in my opinion. POR really sticks and is so tough that it does not scratch off. All available from Frosts.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I don't have a lot of choice about the primer as the sandblasters apply it for me.

But I can say that the combination of an Epoxy Primer and Chassis Black (probably synthetic enamel) is sh*t.

I have a garage full of beautiful looking axle and suspension components in a nice shiny black. I can scrape the black off with my nail, and peel it off in some cases.

So it all has to go back to the blasters to be blasted back to bare metal and primed again.

I will find out the recommended paint to use this time......

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Probably still needs a bit of keying after the epoxy was sprayed on unless your doing it wet on wet ..... I think :shock:
So thats where it went !

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

I put my POR 15 on the day after the chassis came back from the sandblasters as I was all ready with a spray booth made up in my garage, etc. POR 15 was the base coat. You do have to be careful as it will obviously rust as soon as it gets damp but POR 15 suggests that does not matter.

Some sandblasters spray a quick phosphorous (think it's that) coat on to protect it a week or so.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

durhamsmudger

Post by durhamsmudger »

After blasting, bare carbon steel should have a protective coat applied within 4 hours ( this is in a dry environment) after this time oxydisation starts This is why the blasters apply some sort of coating.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I am fine with the blasters applying a good primer ASAP. But I'd prefer one to which you could apply a top-coat!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Body & Strengthening”