What V8 Engine For Defender 90

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

beanyman1000 wrote:Thanks for the info, so you think the RR classic will fit straight in the the Defender TD5 without ANY mods. Engine, Gearbox and Transfer box? I was thinking of getting a new chassis anyway, so the Richards V8 chassis it will fit anyway.
Range Rover Classic should be a lot easier, as it has the LT230 T/C which is a Right side output. The ZF box will also probably be pre-electronic controlled so no ECu to worry about, so all you will need to do is fit the engine management system, either from the RRC or a MS/your choice system.

Cheers,
John

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

beanyman1000 wrote:So if I understand this correctly the only difference is the bell housing because the TD5 is Different,(shoter) so I would need to get engine mounts moved (welded) or get a nice NEW chassis. MMmmm I wonder which it will be???
Well clearly there will be a number of other minor modifcations but the V8 and diesel 90s are essentially the same vehicle just with different engines. I suspect the gearbox/ engine mounting points on the chassis will be the same with differences taken up with the actual engine mounts.

Dont make this harder than it needs to be.

To make it as easy as possible - go a 3.9 with 4CUIX ECU (basically 1 wire to get working), if you want auto put in a ZF out of a D1 as it is stand alone - the transfer case is the same, axles the same etc.

Putting P38 stuff in is a waste of time and too complex.

beanyman1000

Post by beanyman1000 »

garrycol wrote:
beanyman1000 wrote:So if I understand this correctly the only difference is the bell housing because the TD5 is Different,(shoter) so I would need to get engine mounts moved (welded) or get a nice NEW chassis. MMmmm I wonder which it will be???
Well clearly there will be a number of other minor modifcations but the V8 and diesel 90s are essentially the same vehicle just with different engines. I suspect the gearbox/ engine mounting points on the chassis will be the same with differences taken up with the actual engine mounts.

To make it as easy as possible - go a 3.9 with 4CUIX ECU (basically 1 wire to get working), if you want auto put in a ZF out of a D1 as it is stand alone - the transfer case is the same, axles the same etc.

It all changes again, So old disco V8 auto is my best route??? Is there such a car about???
Been there want it again.

beanyman1000

Post by beanyman1000 »

garrycol wrote:

So I now need to go the Discovery 1 route, and all the bits will fit hopefully,

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

You seem to want black and white answers - unfortunately when modifiying vehicles everything is grey.

Maybe you would just be better getting a V8 90 and going from there and selling off whatever you have now.

beanyman1000

Post by beanyman1000 »

garrycol wrote:You seem to want black and white answers - unfortunately when modifiying vehicles everything is grey.

Maybe you would just be better getting a V8 90 and going from there and selling off whatever you have now.
Hi there thanks for advice if were that easy I would but 90 V8s are like rocking horse poop. I just want the easiest way to do it. If it is not going to be possible with my skills I will just leave it a s TD5 Yuk want power.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Not knowing anything about Land Rovers, I'd assumed it was quite an easy job to fit a standard 3.5 V-8 to a 90. But if going for a larger V-8 with a lot more torque, would likely have problems with the transmission, etc.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

beanyman1000

Post by beanyman1000 »

DaveEFI wrote:Not knowing anything about Land Rovers, I'd assumed it was quite an easy job to fit a standard 3.5 V-8 to a 90. But if going for a larger V-8 with a lot more torque, would likely have problems with the transmission, etc.
Hi Dave yes what I want to do is put a V8 in 90 defender with no chassis mods etc, which ever V8 fits and works with exsisting axles will do, but if everyone says I need to change axles, gear boxes and transfers then it is then no longer simple. I would like to know which axles goes with which V8 etc etc. but I want to do it just by swapping, not cutting and adding bits. if It means getting a new chassis and then just using bits from RR D1 that will be what I do. I am OK with spanners etc, but not welding and joining bits on. I don't want to buy RR "and" D1 to get parts I would like to know which donor would do the job, i.e. undo bolts move across then do up bolts, simple as poss, like me. LOL note I am not repeat not going off road with this...

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

beanyman1000 wrote:I will just leave it a s TD5 Yuk want power.
Just be aware that the TD5 responds really well to having the ECU chipped/remapped - which when combined with a larger intercooler and exhaust brings it up to similar power levels as the V8 and a lot more torque. So in day to day driving will have lots of get up and go.

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

beanyman1000 wrote:yes what I want to do is put a V8 in 90 defender with no chassis mods etc, which ever V8 fits and works with exsisting axles will do, but if everyone says I need to change axles, gear boxes and transfers then it is then no longer simple. I would like to know which axles goes with which V8 etc etc. but I want to do it just by swapping, not cutting and adding bits. if It means getting a new chassis and then just using bits from RR D1 that will be what I do. I am OK with spanners etc, but not welding and joining bits on. I don't want to buy RR "and" D1 to get parts I would like to know which donor would do the job, i.e. undo bolts move across then do up bolts, simple as poss, like me. LOL note I am not repeat not going off road with this...
You dont seem to be listening - you do not have to change any of the drivetrain. When people were telling you to change axles etc it was because you were going to use a P38 gearbox etc which is definitely not compatible.

Your Defender 90 drivetrain, manual gearbox etc is basically the same as all other Defenders, the RR Classic, Disco 1 and Disco 2 which had a myriad of engines up to a 4.6 Rover V8.

So if you are going to go with a Rover V8 then all you need is the engine and maybe some mods to the front of the gearbox - no changes to the tfr case and axles are needed. If at the same time you want to go to an auto - much more work would be needed but a D1 auto would be preferred it is not electronic and is stand alone.

No more from me.

beanyman1000

Post by beanyman1000 »

garrycol wrote:
beanyman1000 wrote:yes what I want to do is put a V8 in 90 defender with no chassis mods etc, which ever V8 fits and works with exsisting axles will do, but if everyone says I need to change axles, gear boxes and transfers then it is then no longer simple. I would like to know which axles goes with which V8 etc etc. but I want to do it just by swapping, not cutting and adding bits. if It means getting a new chassis and then just using bits from RR D1 that will be what I do. I am OK with spanners etc, but not welding and joining bits on. I don't want to buy RR "and" D1 to get parts I would like to know which donor would do the job, i.e. undo bolts move across then do up bolts, simple as poss, like me. LOL note I am not repeat not going off road with this...
You dont seem to be listening - you do not have to change any of the drivetrain. When people were telling you to change axles etc it was because you were going to use a P38 gearbox etc which is definitely not compatible.

Your Defender 90 drivetrain, manual gearbox etc is basically the same as all other Defenders, the RR Classic, Disco 1 and Disco 2 which had a myriad of engines up to a 4.6 Rover V8.

So if you are going to go with a Rover V8 then all you need is the engine and maybe some mods to the front of the gearbox - no changes to the tfr case and axles are needed. If at the same time you want to go to an auto - much more work would be needed but a D1 auto would be preferred it is not electronic and is stand alone.

No more from me.
Hi Garrycol, thanks for that, you have put my small brain onto the right bits, so what I need to do now is find an old D1 V8 auto, not too simple here i France but I will have a go.

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

Maybe you need to post on a LR specific site such as http://forums.lr4x4.com

The questions you are seeking answers to are more that just a V8 engine - this is a great site on the V8 aspect but chassis etc information specific to Landrovers is a bit more sketchy.

Good luck with your project.

Garry

beanyman1000

Post by beanyman1000 »

garrycol wrote:Maybe you need to post on a LR specific site such as http://forums.lr4x4.com

The questions you are seeking answers to are more that just a V8 engine - this is a great site on the V8 aspect but chassis etc information specific to Landrovers is a bit more sketchy.

Good luck with your project.

Garry
Hi Garry maybe you are correct I will try there too.

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”