What Do You Drive? Tell Us Here.
V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

James 33
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Not quite a car but V8 powered

Post by James 33 »

Been building this Trike for the last 2 years. Its fitted with a 4.0 TVR Chimeara engine with a Edelbrock 500 carb and duel plain manifold. Mated that uo to a ZF4hp22 auto box from a Bmw E30 but fitted with a Rangerover bellhousing and torque converter. Back axle is Jag XJ6 narrowed 8". Everything else Frame, forks, exhausts etc i have made myself. Hoping to get it on the road this year. 8)

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Wow, that should go. I thought my Rush is a bit of a handful but yours looks as though it will be much more challenging.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

James 33
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by James 33 »

My mare has one with a tuned 3.9 so similar power and it goes like a stabbed rat. They do handle suprisingly well too. My mate can get the back out before the front will understeer. Just drive it off the thttle.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Looks good.

My only comment is that the E30 'box will be set to change up at at least 6000RPM under full throttle. The V8 will struggle to get to that, so you might end up having to change the governor to bring the shift point down a bit.

But I only speak from hearsay as I've never tried it.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

James 33
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by James 33 »

ChrisJC wrote:Looks good.

My only comment is that the E30 'box will be set to change up at at least 6000RPM under full throttle. The V8 will struggle to get to that, so you might end up having to change the governor to bring the shift point down a bit.

Chris.
Thanks ill look into that. Not sure what the TVR engines can rev too. I have an old Rangerover box that i brought for the Bell housing and sump so maybe could use the governor from that too if its shifting too high.

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

James 33 wrote:
ChrisJC wrote:Looks good.

Chris.
Thanks ill look into that. Not sure what the TVR engines can rev too. I have an old Rangerover box that i brought for the Bell housing and sump so maybe could use the governor from that too if its shifting too high.
Many of the TVR engines are bone stock rover V8 engines - so i wouldn't get too excited!
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

James 33
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by James 33 »

I'm aware they don't have much done to them. Mine does have duel valve springs and a cam but apart from that I'm not sure what else.

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Re: Not quite a car but V8 powered

Post by Mc Tool »

That bell housing /trans combo is what I have for my Capri , but I'm about to slice the front,one side and rear of the Trans pan, to allow me to bend (at the remaining side) the base of the pan down 10° and weld in a wedge shaped bit of sheet steel so as to level it . My trans came out of a BMW. Is this essentially what the rangie pan does?
I wish I was young again , Id be heaps smarter than the first time

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Assuming by trans pan you mean sump, then the Rangie sump is larger to allow the vehicle to operate at steeper angles.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

James 33
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by James 33 »

The trikes been on the road 18 months now but I found the Range Rover sump didn't allow enough ground clearance. Over the winter i replaced it with the original BMW sump. Had to guess how much oil to put in it but all seems to be working ok although noticed it gets a but hotter.

James 33
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by James 33 »

Here's the finished article. Been all over the UK and to Germany and Holland so far. 😎

James 33
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by James 33 »

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

That looks like fun
Do you need to jump through the IVA hoops to get it registered?

Not much to keep the rain off though!😇
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Very nice. I like that a lot.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Gerro

Post by Gerro »

James 33 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:32 pm
Sweet build, man! How fast can it run? My uncle got a v6 engine and have the same idea of building a trike. I'll come over to his place this coming weekend to give a hand installing the brake kit and rbp rims on his current pick up truck project. I'll show him your build.

Return to “Your Cars”