Cooling issues.

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Cooling issues.

Post by ChrisJC »

You could be right. As long as any air bubbles that rise to the top have a way to get out, then that's OK. So if your radiator is higher than that, then the radiator vent will be OK. But if that is the highest point, then you will need it I think.

Chris.

--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

good point.........ill have a think about that one before I decide.....Just ordered some additional pipe work so when it arrives I'll give it all a go and report back......thanks Chris for the advice.
Building a westfield V8

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

jenko wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:04 pm
Just looked at a load of other diagrams, and I agree, I seem to be completely wrong...god only knows how I ended up getting it so wrong. looks I need one of these, and remove the thermostat from the inlet manifold (but why is there a perfectly machined cut out)......looks like a robotic heart!.
Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 17.57.55.png
Just to add to the confusion, there are 2 different thermostats that look superficially similar, the P38 and the Discovery.
There may also be differences between the diesel and petrol engines, too, but I am not sure as I have not been that deep into them yet.
My P38 is the 4.6 and my Disco is the Td5, and like I say, they look very similar, but are in fact, quite different in the plumbing.
Cheers,
John

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

unstable load wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:32 am
jenko wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:04 pm
Just looked at a load of other diagrams, and I agree, I seem to be completely wrong...god only knows how I ended up getting it so wrong. looks I need one of these, and remove the thermostat from the inlet manifold (but why is there a perfectly machined cut out)......looks like a robotic heart!.
Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 17.57.55.png
Just to add to the confusion, there are 2 different thermostats that look superficially similar, the P38 and the Discovery.
There may also be differences between the diesel and petrol engines, too, but I am not sure as I have not been that deep into them yet.
My P38 is the 4.6 and my Disco is the Td5, and like I say, they look very similar, but are in fact, quite different in the plumbing.
I've ordered the P38 version as this appears to be 85 degree stat...more importantly, now I've researched these things there is also one other crucial function that was missing from my last set up (and quite possibly the reason for my problems). Its regarding the thermostat bypass pluming. the internal thermostat on these also has a disc that, when open blocks the thermostat bypass.....eureaka (I hope), my previous set up did not have any such feature (sounds obvious now), which means that possibly a third of the water circulating bypassed the rad!.
Building a westfield V8

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

jenko wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:36 am
I've ordered the P38 version as this appears to be 85 degree stat...more importantly, now I've researched these things there is also one other crucial function that was missing from my last set up (and quite possibly the reason for my problems). Its regarding the thermostat bypass pluming. the internal thermostat on these also has a disc that, when open blocks the thermostat bypass.....eureaka (I hope), my previous set up did not have any such feature (sounds obvious now), which means that possibly a third of the water circulating bypassed the rad!.
The P38 one is 95 degrees as far as I know...

Interesting point about the internal disc - I will have to have a look into that - I was unaware of that!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

ChrisJC wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:58 am
jenko wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:36 am
The P38 one is 95 degrees as far as I know...

Interesting point about the internal disc - I will have to have a look into that - I was unaware of that!

Chris.
Ahhh...95 feels to hot, but it might be ok....I wonder if there is an 85degree version?.

Yes the internal cut off is an interesting one......I found this very useful diagram on google, that shows how it works.....but it makes sense.
Thermostat cut in half.JPG
Building a westfield V8

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

Just had a quick look around....some refer to them as 82 degree...now Im really confused!:
https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/oenumb ... 01130.html
https://www.amazon.co.uk/U-ESSENTIALS-C ... B078LKW14M

Anyhow...it could be that its fine as 95 stat...I think I just need to give it a go and see what happens.
Building a westfield V8

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

My understanding that the P38 one only came in one temperature.

The Discovery II V8 ones came in at least two temperatures, but they are a totally different design!!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

I think the Freelander stat is 82° just to add confusion :eek

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

I received the thermostat today....it is indeed 82degrees...i wonder if they started doing some after market ones as my Haynes manual also suggest they run at 95...
669466CE-283A-4A14-8469-2439B849D621.jpeg
And here it is installed...definitely an artificial heart!.
36600E01-9672-4225-BC91-8AD29A94DD96.jpeg
Building a westfield V8

Seight-V8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Seight-V8 »

has anyone used this thermostat from a TVR before....its not cheap i know...but you can put you own thermostat inside, where the LR one is not replaceable or servicable.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Upgraded-The ... SwIDBb2uX3

regards
scott

jenko
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by jenko »

Never seen one of those before....looks like it has three 32mm ports. As it happens, I did buy the longer part for my connection to the inlet manifold (i.e. feed to top of rad).
Building a westfield V8

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Another benefit of the remote thermostat housings is they close off the bypass circuit as the stat opens so you get 100% flow through the rad - doesn't look like that billet one does that?
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Seight-V8 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:53 pm
...but you can put you own thermostat inside, where the LR one is not replaceable or servicable
There are thermostat housings available that you can swap out the stat, but they are all aftermarket.
Cheers,
John

P38waterlesscoolant

Post by P38waterlesscoolant »

Use waterless coolant. No rust, no boiling take the cap off no explosion. All solved. Now you lot will say u never heard of it so its too far from mainstream. Carry on heating yo then. U all love a natter about this yet I just solved your issues
Anything that's new or different to anything u lot know has to be wrong

Return to “Cooling Area”