General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Seight-V8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

electric water pump

Post by Seight-V8 »

Hello all,

Been considering this for a while, whether or not to go electric water pump on my 4.6 v8 in a westfield.

Im still getting 94-105degc on the hot days......i fitted the largest & biggest capacity rad fan that i could find last year, and made sure its snug to the rad.....so its now pulling well....

Even travelling at about 70mpg, the temps are raising, and it just slowly creeps & creeps.....i know my engines not tuned yet....as I'm still in the running in period....I've only done 120miles since a 5 year rebuild, so I'm still really taking it easy, and not pushing it.....

Can anyone recommend an electric water pump, and whether there's anything else i need to do to fit one, before i waste more time fitting something that would be a waste....

thanks
scott

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: electric water pump

Post by ChrisJC »

I think I would rewind a bit and ask the silly questions!
1. Do electric pumps flow more than conventional pumps? If so, how much more?
2. Under normal conditions, the cooling shouldn't be marginal - it ought to have bags of spare capacity for those hot days / mountain climbs / towing caravans etc.
3. My Landie (4.6) has a radiator that is only marginally bigger than the 17" Range Rover cooling fan (the black one with the ring connecting the end of the blades). The cooling circuit is copied exactly from a P38 Range Rover. The cooling is fine.
4. Do you have an airflow problem instead?, i.e. for whatever reason not enough air goes through the rad?

Some pics attached of what I have.

Chris.
Attachments
DSC08666.JPG
DSC08739.JPG
IMG_20190417_172819.jpg
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

I am with Chris - I would be looking for the cause first - electric water pumps generally flow a little less than the equivalent belt driven unit. On your temps, while 105c is getting a bit up there, 100 is about right. My 4.6 runs at about 98.

Chris - on a side - what ECU are you running on that engine??

Cheers

Garry

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

garrycol wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:23 am
Chris - on a side - what ECU are you running on that engine??
Bosch Motronic, standard ECU for that engine, but tweaked by Mark Adams to be 'standalone', i.e. get rid of all (or at least, most) of the dependencies on the rest-of-vehicle electronics.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

Thanks Chris - a good option :)

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Is your radiator actually working? There was another thread on here where so much was looked at and eventually the radiator checked and it had slugged up badly and only a few cores were flowing cool and through them. Check the temperature of the whole core not just specific places.

Does all the air going in your front cowl go through the radiator? Or can it escape around the edges? If so seal that off as the air will find the least line of resistance!

Once the air goes through the rad, can it escape freely?

And get the engine tuned, rich or lean can cause the engine to generate more heat

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Quite a few seem to have cooling problems with a Westie - perhaps the owners club etc could help? I'm guessing getting decent airflow though the rad not as simple as it sounds?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Ian Anderson wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:53 am
There was another thread on here where so much was looked at and eventually the radiator checked and it had slugged up badly and only a few cores were flowing cool and through them.
That was me - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14901 - and what an experience that was. In the end it was all down to a blocked rad. Read the posts and see what I did to solve the problem. I even considered an electric pump but as above, look at the problem first.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Ian Anderson wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:53 am
Is your radiator actually working? There was another thread on here where so much was looked at and eventually the radiator checked and it had slugged up badly and only a few cores were flowing cool and through them.
I had the same. My P38 Range Rover started to get marginal on cooling, and it turned out that about 50% of the radiator tubes were blocked up with sludge in the top tank!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Best place for an electric pump, is on an electric car lol
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

As others have said I would be looking to sort out the issue first - at 70mph cruise an electric pump won't help; unless your getting belt slip! in which case sort the belt slip issue. An electric pump may help low speed heating issues.

My Dax Rush 4.6 V8 (similar nose cone area) has a big intercooler blocking half the rad and cooling is fine cruising at speed. Gets more marginal in traffic at slow speeds on very hot days.

What's your cooling circuit like? can you post pictures?
Do you have good belt wrap/tension around the water pump pulley?
Is your rad partially blocked? check all over with infrared temp sensor.
Air in the system?
How have you plumbed in the heater ports?

Tom.
Last edited by SuperV8 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Do you have a heater core fitted to Demi’s the screen?

Could it be that that circuit allows enough fluid flow to mean a sizeable volume is circulating that way and avoiding the radiator?

Just another thing to consider!

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Ian Anderson wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:45 pm
Do you have a heater core fitted to Demi’s the screen?

Could it be that that circuit allows enough fluid flow to mean a sizeable volume is circulating that way and avoiding the radiator?

Just another thing to consider!

Ian
Easy to test - just clamp off one of the heater flow or return pipes (unless he is using the heater flow path as a bypass circuit?) - but I couldn't see heater pipes in a photo of his engine bay?. If there is no heater then how has the heater flow/return ports being dealt with? just blanked of? or looped together?
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Seight-V8 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:06 am
.....i fitted the largest & biggest capacity rad fan that i could find last year, and made sure its snug to the rad.....so its now pulling well....
Is your fan shrouded? It doesn't really matter how snug it is to the rad, it matters that ONLY the air across the rad passes through the fan, not the air from behind the rad and around the fan, and a shroud that encloses the rad to the fan achieves that end.
Cheers,
John

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Silly question I know, but is your fan drawing air from the front and pushing it towards the rear?
If not the fan is working against the natural flow of air.
Been done before and one bloke in a gt40 actually managed to get one fan blowing and one fan blowing back, no wonder he had so much difficulty at low speed!

Ian

Return to “Cooling Area”