Fernox Alphi 11

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Fernox Alphi 11

Post by ratwing »

I've been using Granville Sub-Zero at 40% in my Rover V8 and when flushing the old stuff out I found corrosion and blobs of jelly in the water pump and thermostat housing where the radiator hoses go.
I've also heard that you can't use pink/red OAT antifreeze in Rover V8's because the gaskets weren't designed to resist the stuff and gradually get eaten through but don't know if it's true.
I read somewhere about using Fernox Alphi 11 intended for central heating systems, it works in houses, has a long lifespan and I know some Rolls-Royce owners use it so it must do the job in a car - any thoughts guys?

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Fernox Alphi 11

Post by DaveEFI »

Think the main problem with OAT is it can corrode some of the other metals in the cooling system, like the copper rad. Modern cars usually have ally ones.

I've never had a problem using a decent quality anti-freeze, designed for ally engines. I had the water pump off recently, and the water jacket looked spotless. On a high miles 30 odd year old engine.

There appear to be two Granville Sub-Zero specs, and the blue one says suitable for ally engines. Going back years, BlueCol was for iron block engines, the ally stuff was green.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Fernox Alphi 11

Post by ratwing »

Cheers for the reply Dave, I've just done a quick search and OAT appears to corrode lead solder too so my copper core/brass tanks radiator means I'll avoid it.
I was using the blue Sub-Zero, I'll try a different brand and see what happens.

Return to “Cooling Area”