Oil Cooler Pipes

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

rincewind23

Oil Cooler Pipes

Post by rincewind23 »

Hi all,
I've got a Land Rover 90 with a Disco 3.9 v8 in it. The guy who owned it before me (who presumably did the conversion) decided to replace the radiator but keep the oil cooler bit.. It's just hanging there looking broken so now I'm looking to fit a Mocal oil cooler. When I removed this cooler, one of the pipes into the timing cover is 'normal', the other has a strange hole/plug end:
lr2.jpg
My question is: Can I just plug the existing holes and use a sandwich plate to take off to the oil cooler? Or do I need to use this special connector as pictured? I've done some research online but the results are inconclusive. I think I have an intermediate serp timing cover, and I've seen reference to this pipe bunging the 'easy way' for the oil, but nothing as to whether I can use a sandwich plate instead.

Cheers,
Kev.

rincewind23

Re: Oil Cooler Pipes

Post by rincewind23 »

For some reason the forum wouldn't let me attach two images to the initial post, so this is what I mean by 'just the oil cooler bit' :D
lr1.jpg

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Oil Cooler Pipes

Post by DEVONMAN »

On an interim type front cover (A cover with a distributor hole and crank driven oil pump) you can bung both of the original oil cooler take off's and use a sandwich plate for the cooler instead. But don't somehow use the original pipes to bung up the holes unless you cut off the long stub with the hole in it.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Return to “Cooling Area”