Trying to identify a part. Help!

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Trying to identify a part. Help!

Post by GDCobra »

Hi all, I'm trying to find a number for a part or better still an alternative.

The part in question is the plug which goes in the heater pipes which run along the top of the OS rocker cover in some installations, the assembly number for this is ERR319.

I just bought a brand new assembly, removed the plug which is made of some garbage plastic. The thread was tight all the way out and when I tried to screw it back in it has got really tight and now won't screw all the way in to seat at the top.the hex on top is now rounded off, i cant unscrew it either!

As a minimum I need to get a replacement plastic cap but would prefer to replace it with something made of metal so if any one can provide a part number for the replacement or suggest an alternative (radiator cap, sump plug ETC) I'd very much appreciate it.
Or possibly even identify the thread, maybe I can get one made.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Trying to identify a part. Help!

Post by DaveEFI »

On my SD1, the heater pipe runs under the manifold, and screws into the 'lump' at the front. The original is steel and rusts. I made one using domestic copper tube, soldered together. I found a brass bush which screwed in nicely in my box of bits. Had to drill it out to take the 15mm pipe. I think it was a bush made to protect cable where it exited from steel conduit. Snag being in my lifetime that thread changed from Imperial to metric, and I'm not sure which it was. Elsewhere on the SD1, I used a modern plumbing fitting to replace the plastic filler plug on the rad. So have a look at Screwfix, etc to see if something looks suitable or can be modified, and try it. They're not expensive.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

I suspect there are other areas where plugs sith same threads are use, unfortunately the plug I have in at thd moment appears to be holding pressure without leaking even though it is not fully seating (in fact it's way off), I don't really want to force it out to measure it and then be unable to use.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Certainly I agree that Land Rover don't list it as a separate item, and Rimmer Bros don't seem to either...

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

Managed to get my calipers on to the thread, it is 20.7mm diameter so I'm guessing it is actually 13/16" of some description.

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

It's probably 1/2" BSPP 14TPI

Return to “Cooling Area”