Coolant / engine temp senders

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Twinturbotr7
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Coolant / engine temp senders

Post by Twinturbotr7 »

Could someone tell me what the difference / purpose of these senders ?? They both obviously protrude into the water ways so they both monitor coolent temp , is one for the gauge on the dashboard and one for the ecu ???
Thanks Nick
ImageImage
Last edited by Twinturbotr7 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Coolant / engine temp senders

Post by DaveEFI »

There are lots of variations. Most of the inlet manifolds I've seen with those two sensors have one for the ECU, and the other is a thermotime switch for the cold start injector on the flapper system. The dash gauge one being beside the thermostat.
The later manifold I have here has only one drilling - for the ECU sensor.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Twinturbotr7
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Twinturbotr7 »

This is what I always thought was the hot wire manifold as its got the later style green stripe injectors and it 3.9 with NO extra injector

Twinturbotr7
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Twinturbotr7 »

The reason I need to know is because im going to be running stand Alone ecu I've also modified my inlet manifold to be a forward facing throttle body and need to move the twin terminal sender as it's in the way So was going to cut off and move it so it's not in the way while I'm at it I was going to compleatly remove the other (single connection) sender and it's boss and weld the hole up as I assumed it wasn't needed ???? I'm also fitting a boss so I can use an original tr7 sender for the dashboard gauge
so anyone else out there that knows what these senders are ????

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

What engine is that from? If it's a Land Rover, then have a look at the RAVE manual for that model, they are pretty good manuals.
Can be found here...
http://www.d-lander.com/manuals/
Cheers,
John

Twinturbotr7
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Twinturbotr7 »

unstable load wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:29 am
What engine is that from? If it's a Land Rover, then have a look at the RAVE manual for that model, they are pretty good manuals.
Can be found here...
http://www.d-lander.com/manuals/
Thanks for that I will have a look 👀
Mine is hrc2616 I've googled that and I looks like it's either a 3.9 Range Rover classic or p38
4.0 Range Rover both seem to use the same part I will have a look and see what it says for both on that manual
Thanks Nick

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

The left hand sender is for the water temp gauge and the right hand sender is sensor for the coolant temp input to the ECU. I have the same basic layout on my RV8 4.6.

Garry

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

garrycol wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:33 am
The left hand sender is for the water temp gauge and the right hand sender is sensor for the coolant temp input to the ECU. I have the same basic layout on my RV8 4.6.

Garry
That sounds like sense. On my SD1, the dash coolant gauge varies from about 90 to 100c depending on traffic conditions. A log from MegaSquirt using the inlet manifold sensor shows a much more consistent temperature. The SD1 has the dash gauge sensor beside the thermostat.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Yep, as others have said, 1 wire is for the dash gauge, 2 wire is for the ecu. Probably Lucas SNB802
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Twinturbotr7
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Twinturbotr7 »

Thanks for that guys I'm going to scrap the single wire sender relocate it and fit a tr7 sender for the dash so hopefully it should read ok ish , and move the 2 wire sender so it won't foul the throttle body , thanks again everyone

Return to “Cooling Area”