Thermostat and air lock

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

itsallrovernow

Thermostat and air lock

Post by itsallrovernow »

Engine running up to operating temperature but rad cold and coolant not getting round plenum , tp, so took thermostat out and everything worked fine, I know it's not advisable to run without a thermostat but a mate reckons it's ok during summer? , though I'm not convinced! Also , how do I get rid of air in system? I have an electric fan and have done away with standard fan and viscous. Thanks folks.[/u]

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

There are so many variations with cooling systems it's not possible to give anything other than general advice. With my SD1, I find parking on a hill or raising the front so the rad is as high as possible helps a bit. After filling it, run the engine and top up. Squeeze the top hose to try and eject any air there. Don't worry about overfilling, as the system will eject any excess.

I'd not run without a thermostat. The correct temp is going to be about 80C or more, and it would likely run far too cold on the open road.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

You haven't mentioned what engine but it has a plenum so had a box plenum on the top or a Thor

So if you have a temp sender on top of the thermostat it will be near the top of the engine - remove it and use as a bleed. If not there will be a temp sender in the inlet manifold somewhere - or on the plenum - again remove it and see if will bleed the system.

Failing that, as suggested, parking and running at some steep angles might help.

Garry

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Has your thermostat got the little bleed valve in it?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

itsallrovernow

Post by itsallrovernow »

No, it's a rover sd1,v8 vitesse :)

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

The method I use is to jack the front up as high as I can with a trolley jack.
Then fill the system through the radiator filler hole to the top, bleed the air out by squeezing the top hose & topping up until no more air comes out then replace the radiator plug. Finally fill the header tank to the top, fit radiator cap lower & go for a short drive. After it's cooled down top up if necessary & that's it.
I've used this method for years & 9 times out 10 it doesn't need topping up.

After a couple of days of running I always re-tighten all of the hose clips.

itsallrovernow

Post by itsallrovernow »

Done that, now I've got a leak, which I thought I'd sorted, under the plenum chamber and the water collects on the valley gasket. Replaced both jubilee clips and tightened them up as far as they'll go but there's still a small amount laying on valley gasket :(

Return to “Cooling Area”