rover v8 water pump

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mizpah

rover v8 water pump

Post by mizpah »

Hi , I decided to do some work on my car over the winter , I bought a new water pump but when swopping it , I drained the system from the bottom hose of the radiator not the block , with the pump removed I noticed water coming from one of the bolt holes that hold the diagnostic bolts . is this normal ? I note the bolts should be put in with thread sealer in the manual .

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

There is a bolt that goes into the water jacket, so normal.
Use a good antisieze on all the bolts if you want to possibly remove the pump in the future, too.
Cheers,
John

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

unstable load wrote:There is a bolt that goes into the water jacket, so normal.
Use a good antisieze on all the bolts if you want to possibly remove the pump in the future, too.
Yup. The 1/4" bolts on the pump are very likely to shear next time the pump is changed if put in dry.

The very first RV8 manual I had - factory one for a P6 - recommended ScotchLock on all threads into ally. This sealed, locked and prevented corrosion. I still use it. Dunno if there is something similar but easier to find.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

mizpah

Post by mizpah »

:D PHEW :D thanks for the relpies it is 30+ years since I rebuilt and put this engine in the car and my memory let me down .

Return to “Cooling Area”