General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Twinturbotr7
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Header tank question tr7 with a rv8

Post by Twinturbotr7 »

Hi I have a tr7 with a rv8 being fitted
It's got a cross flow radiator the big thermostat pipe (viewed from the drivers seat) Goes to the top left of the radiator and the water pump goes to the bottom right , my header tank is the brass tr7 /sd1 type ,unfortunately my header tank is located on the wrong side of the engine compartment it's on the left as per an early 2.0l car , I'm reluctant to move the tank as I've already had the body had been painted inside and out and I don't want any spare holes in the inner wings or want to have part of the engine bay re painted , so could I either tee into the top hose with the bigger pipe that comes off the bottom of the header
Or weld another fitting just under the big pipe on the left hand radiator tank and go into that ? I don't want a big long pipe going across the car to the proper spigot on the right hand side of the radiator as this will look a mess I'm trying to keeps it neat under the bonnet ,
Just to confirm I'm talking about the 18mm (ish )pipe that comes off the bottom of the tank ,NOT the smaller air bleed on top of the tank
I hope this makes sense thanks

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I would weld a new pipe to the bottom of the radiator on the correct side.
Is the header tank higher than the top of the radiator?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Twinturbotr7
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Twinturbotr7 »

ChrisJC wrote:I would weld a new pipe to the bottom of the radiator on the correct side.
Is the header tank higher than the top of the radiator?

Chris.

Hi thanks for the reply, yes the header tank is higher than the radiator and is higher than the manifold, when you say weld a pipe to the bottom of the radiator on the correct side I assume your talking about" my correct side "ie left hand side of the radiator viewed from the drivers seat? Also why fit to bottom of radiator ?
Thanks

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I think it will fill the system quicker if you go for the bottom of the rad. I suspect it would work OK if it went into the top as well though.

The header tank on my Rangie goes into the bottom.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Twinturbotr7
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Twinturbotr7 »

ChrisJC wrote:I think it will fill the system quicker if you go for the bottom of the rad. I suspect it would work OK if it went into the top as well though.

The header tank on my Rangie goes into the bottom.

Chris.

thanks that should avoid me moving my header tank and thanks for taking the time to reply to me

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Header tanks almost always attach low down and close to the inlet side of the water pump.

Although I'm sure there are somewhere that dont lol. But that would be how I'd want it, or damn close to it.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Return to “Cooling Area”